Chapter 29

Children's hands didn't have much strength. Without clippers, she was basically unable to pick a whole string of grapes. Wei Luo tried it twice unsuccessfully, then simply decided to eat what she picked directly while borrowing Zhao Jie's embrace. She aimed for the largest and roundest grape in the bunch and raised her short arms to seize it, successfully plucking it out. Just as she was about to put it in her mouth, she lowered her head to look at Zhao Jie's pair of eyes that were as deep as the ocean. Getting an idea, she appeared sensible as she stuffed the grape in his mouth. "Big brother eat it."

The fruits and vegetables that Empress Chen planted were very clean and there were usually people who attentively took care of the garden. Even without doing much, it was possible to eat straight away.

Actually, Zhao Jie was a picky person, he couldn't eat unwashed grapes. If he didn't want to, then don't eat, Wei Luo didn't care. No longer minding him, she started eating with relish. Before long, she was finished with half a string. When Zhao Jie put her down, she had already eaten to the full, her belly bulging out. Yet she still looked as if she could go on.

Zhao Jie laughingly told her, "Eating too much will make your belly hurt."

Wei Luo didn't believe his words initially, thinking he was envious and crying sour grapes because he couldn't eat them. Who would have expected that after eating the osmanthus egg soup personally made by Empress Chen, she had barely sat down in the carriage leading back to Duke Ying's residence, when her belly started hurting. The pain wasn't quick and violent, but grew gradually. It wasn't very severe at first, but by the time she reached home, her face was already covered in cold sweat and she was shivering all over from pain.

That really frightened Wei Kun and Changhong. Wei Kun hurriedly told a servant girl to invite a physician over. By the time the physician arrived, she was already throwing up and having diarrhea. Her small face was wan and her body seemed to have grown thinner in half a day.

Holding her slender wrist to diagnose her, the doctor said that it wasn't anything serious. Just that eating too much raw and cold fruit was harsh on the digestive system. Children's bodies were delicate. Even if they were bursting with energy normally, it was important to take care of those small details. While the doctor was lecturing, Wei Kun stood to the side, earnestly listening to him. Only when the doctor wrote down a prescription and left, he could finally sigh with relief.

Soon after, Jin Lu came in, carrying the prepared medicine. She helped Wei Luo drink it up, then asked worriedly, "Miss, what did you eat in the palace? Why did your belly get sick?"

Wei Luo weakly reclined into the big decorative pillow, her appearance ill and weary. She spoke dejectedly, "I ate grapes, ate too many."

As she replied, she couldn't help but recall Zhao Jie's earlier words. Her heart was complaining, he really had a jinxed mouth, what he said actually happened. Now that her belly truly was in pain, perhaps she wouldn't even be able to attend the morning classes, so they had to inform Empress Chen she would be taking several days off until her body recovered. Fortunately after drinking the medicine, she felt much better, no longer throwing up or running to the toilet. Some vigor also returned to her, it wasn't as bad as in the beginning.

When the old madam and the others heard the news, they rushed to visit in succession. Recently, Wei Luo was the most popular person in Duke Ying's family. Leaving aside the fact that she had entered the palace as princess Tianji's study companion, she had even entered Empress Chen's good graces. Every now and then, Empress Chen would send small gifts toward the fifth branch1 of the family, making the several other branches endlessly envious.

The old Madam Luo had never been very fond of this granddaughter, possibly because her mother had been too unrestrained back in the past, stirring up her two sons to fight for her affection and causing them to fall out with each other. The two brothers were still on bad terms to this day. Usually, the old Madam was neither warm, nor cold toward Wei Luo and Changhong. Sometimes she would remember to show care and say a few words to them. It was far inferior to the love she showed to her other grandchildren. Now that Empress Chen had attached great importance to Wei Luo, her manner to Wei Luo had also changed a lot. Unlike the previous neglect, her face was all smiles whenever she met Wei Luo.