𝐎𝐧𝐞 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐜𝐞

Luca Bianchi made history yet again on Sunday by winning the Italian Grand Prix at Monza for Mercedes to become the youngest formula one racer to win at twenty years and ten months.

Bianchi's win put him in the lead ahead of Derek Schneider, who came in second.

The race was highlighted by Bianchi's crash which happened as he drove through the finish line. His team, however, told reporters he is in hospital undergoing tests but in stable condition. He is expected to be discharged soon.

Lia

I've never liked to run, not even when I did it with Luca long ago when we were growing up. It made my legs shake; now, I was running tirelessly, forcefully shoving away people in my path, rushing to him. My heart thumping in panic as I looked at his car.

God, please, let him I live. I prayed, reaching where he was, panting and anxiously waiting for the rescue team to pull him out. I could see reporters surrounding him like vultures, camera flashes lighting up at the same time, trying to capture an image of a fallen winner.

At that time, I hated them all. I knew all the media outlets would have an image of him when unconscious, both in print and electronic. I swore, knowing it was probably going around on social media, perhaps trending under a pretentious hashtag like get well soon.

I didn't know where the strength came from, but once his body was pulled out, I walked to the front as he was placed on a stretcher with uncle Matteo and Devonni beside me. My eyes brimming with tears.

When Luca moved from home to Italy at fourteen, his father instructed Matteo to be his bodyguard and friend—to watch over him while I got Devonni; however, the difference was that I moved out at twenty, which was less than a year ago.

Luca and I have a few things in common, not the least of which is that we are both firstborn in our families.

"I'm his legal guardian," I said as I attempted to climb into the ambulance with him.

"Name?" One of them asked me with an attitude in his voice.

"Lia Boselli, " I responded, scowling at him. I wasn't fond of confrontation; I loathed it, to be honest, but I was a hair's breadth from instigating one. Luckily, Matteo confirmed I was one of Luca's guardians seconds before I erupted. He was popular in this circle since he doubled as one of his bodyguards and assistants; he was also his shadow, a role he enjoyed, and one of our family lawyers.

No one knew me; this was the first race I had attended since he started racing; I couldn't have come except aunt Ele, Luc's mother, who called me last week to persuade me to at least be in attendance since everyone else couldn't make it.

His father, who never missed, was engaged in a meeting, and so were my father and uncle Rom.

Luca and I grew up together in the same house, but we are not related. Our fathers met in the streets in their early teens. It's an interesting story as much as it is inconceivable—one we were told repeatedly when we were old enough to comprehend.

We were taught to read people as well as a room. Trust is earned and should never be handed out carelessly and without thought. Loyalty is essential in a family, and fear is better than love. This came in handy at that moment as I judged the people around Luc.