𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲- 𝐒𝐢𝐱- 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲

******** ***************
𝐇𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠
**********************

Max

When the jet took off, I felt relief, a twinkle of joy bloomed within me. I think leaving the country was good for me. Like leaving the memories of Chris and everything that followed after that behind.

Sitting in the chaos that was Lia's family was also soothing despite the occasional glares from some of them.

I found myself stealing glances at Serena. I gravitated towards her like a month to a flame. Her laugh mesmerized me, her smile had me catching my breath. It was gorgeous, unreal, irresistible. She however did not look at me or talk to me at any time during the flight. It's like I did not exist.

When we landed, Dino, his friends who I had started calling by their names, Eli, Jackson, and I got into one car and were taken to a big house in Rome where we would be staying. The others did not come with us.

"Will they stay in a hotel?" I asked Dino. He chuckled, slapped my back with a familiarity I was beginning to like and said, "No, man. They have another house where no outsiders are invited."

"Why?"

It was fascinating. I found all of them fascinating— their love for each other, the way they protected their own. Their bond was so tight that nobody would infiltrate. It was like their own secret society. I was an outsider watching from the fence wishing and longing to be part of their inner circle. Of course that would never happen.

"For security reasons. Why do you think your Christmas invitation was declined?" he whispered this so the driver wouldn't hear. We did not speak again until we arrived to the house where I would spend a few hours of my freedom.

It was big, though not huge. Two-storey house with five bedrooms, and the same number of bathrooms. There were no close neighbours, the gate made a grinding sound when it was opened. When the driver walked us to the house, an older woman, and a younger one perhaps in her late twenties, or early thirties pulled the door open for us.

The older one received us with a serene smile on her mouth, her uniform clean and well-pressed. She was short, and a little plump, but exuded mothering vibes. I do not know how to explain that further.

"Russo, it's great to see you again," she said, smiling, stepping on her tip-toe to kiss both his cheeks and then cupping them in her hands, her loving gaze had me longing for a loving mother.

When she was done, she gently pulled him aside to look behind us. "Nobody else came with me, but I've brought you guests." That had her face close up with sadness, but she recovered soon enough to look at the other three of us. Her eyes looked sharp, her perusal seemed like she was judging us, weighing us. Astute is the word I would use to describe her.

"This is Claudia," Russo told us, wrapping his arm around the older woman's shoulder, "and her daughter Cristina." The latter gave us a tight smile, wrapping her arms across her chest.

"They will take care of you until you return to the States." He added.

I nodded, nervously tightening my hand on the bag strap.

"Will you at least stay for a cup of coffee?" Claudia asked Russo. When he shook his head, she nodded, her face looking dejected which had me wondering whether they were related or something. Why would she feel this for just an acquaintance? However, before he left, I saw him embrace her, whispering something in her ear that brought a genuine smile to her lips, when he left, she sprang to the kitchen humming while gently clapping her hands with the rhythm of the hum.