Let's Go Shopping

---
Reuben was awake until morning. He sat on the floor with his head in one hand, his elbow perched on a knee. His thoughts wandered from his childhood to his coming future, which was enough to keep him awake. He was so deep in pensive thought that he didn't notice the early rays of sunshine splash their damp motel room with color.
---
Ambrose was still dead asleep, used to sleeping long hours. He had stayed awake longer than normal and his body wasn't used to such so he didn’t wake when the sun shone through the windows.
---
Joe awoke around 10:00 am (rather obnoxiously one might add). He stretched and popped his bones with a noisy yawn. Then he stepped out of bed and began dressing. “Mornin’ Reub.” He ruffled Reuben’s hair as he passed by- which Reuben did not appreciate- and then entered the bathroom for a shower.
---
"Mn…" Ambrose stirred with a soft and tired moan but he stayed asleep.
---
Reuben’s eyes widened and his crotch stirred at the slight arousing sound Ambrose uttered. He shook his head and beat himself up for being so easily turned on. He raised his head and peered across the bed at the sleeping Ambrose.
---
Ambrose snuggled deeper into his pillow and continued to sleep peacefully, breathing softly as if nothing in the world was wrong.
---
Reuben eyed him for a while longer, smiling at how precious he looked. He was sorry he would have to wake him soon.
---
Ambrose made another soft noise and turned in his sleep so he was facing Rueben. His face was totally at ease now that he was in dreamland and what Rueben had said the night before held true. Ambrose was much more attractive without a sneer.
---
Reuben kneeled and folded his arms atop the bed as he stared at him with a smile he never wore.
---
Ambrose stayed sleeping, blissfully unaware of Rueben's gaze.
---
Reuben jumped to his feet when Joe entered the room again. He moseyed about his own business and Joe did the same without a word. Once they were finished dressing, brushing their teeth, etc. Joe told Reuben he was ready to leave. "Should we wake him up?" Joe nodded at Ambrose.

Reuben scooped Ambrose into his arms along with the blanket still wrapped around him and he carried him out of the motel like he was his bride. "Nah. He's much easier to handle this way."

Joe agreed.
---
Ambrose's face scrunched up a bit and he wiggled in Rueben's arms with a tiny whine. One of his hands grabbed onto Rueben's shirt and he nuzzled his face into his chest.
---
Rueben felt an overwhelming sense of love that revealed itself in his pink cheeks.

"Awh, he's so cute." Joe poked Ambrose's cheek.

"Don't touch him." Reuben twisted away from Joe and headed for the car, smiling down at Ambrose as if he were a kitten rather than a person.

In the car, Joe was surprised Reuben was still holding Ambrose in his arms. Joe was driving again and Reuben was sitting beside him, just staring down at Ambrose even though he was tired himself and his eyelids threatened to stay closed.

"Aren't you going to set him down?" Joe thought Reuben was behaving strangely again.

Reuben didn't respond.
---
Ambrose curled up closer to Rueben's warmth and sighed into his chest. He pulled him closer as if he wanted him to be a blanket.
---
Reuben held Ambrose securely to his chest. Even though he was exhausted and running on 0 hours of sleep, he felt like he could fight off anything to keep Ambrose safe from harm. But his body ended up pulling him into unconsciousness anyway.

Joe left them be and continued driving as far as the day would take them.

Reuben dropped his head against Ambrose's.
---
Ambrose grunted and used his hold on Rueben to jerk him back and forth meanly, still bratty even when he was asleep.
---
Reuben blinked awake and straightened again, tightening his hold and pressing Ambrose even closer to his chest. He cradled Ambrose's head with his elbow, making sure he was comfortable.
---
Ambrose fell back into a deeper sleep and relaxed again in his arms, mumbling into his shirt.
---
"Hey, wake up." Joe reached over and shook Ambrose awake. He left Reuben alone, who had leaned his head against the car window and fallen asleep.
---
"Mnh…" Ambrose slapped Joe's hand away and curled closer to Rueben.
---
"Hey!" Joe sounded offended. He grabbed Ambrose by the shoulders and shook him awake. "Wake up, already!"