Michael, Are You Sure You're Straight?

***this chapter skips the scene, but rape is heavily implied***

The guys at the BackFort picked on Joe ruthlessly when Michael brought them back. Michael had blurted about Reuben and Ambrose’s display but no one believed him, especially since Joe turned that into a joke.

“You had an easy job! All you had to do was bring a spoiled brat to texas but you somehow managed to drive away from here!” The guys laughed as they drank from beers in the poker room, where Joe was dealing cards for them. He laughed along with their crude jokes, used to being the butt of them. Now that Reuben was gone, there wasn't anyone to protect him from the cruelty of his comrades.

The BackFort sounded like it would be a shed tucked somewhere underground, but really, it was a mansion with a room for each member of the inner circle family.

“What are you celebrating?” Michael walked in on the boys playing their game, and they all twisted around in their chairs to stare at him like they were kids caught with their hands in a candy jar. “Three of our men were incarcerated today. That’s nothing to be happy about. King is gonna have our heads.” He sneered at them.

Joe bowed his head shamefully. He wasn’t as chatty as he usually was, too busy worrying about Reuben.

“Oh please, they’ll be fine!” Whined one of the other men who was titled as the clown of the group. “Those cops that took Reuben are probably six feet under by now. Or in a ditch somewhere. Or hell, maybe he burned them in their car like last time.” The boys started laughing again.

“Where’s the boy?” Michael growled, annoyed with all of them.

The wisecrack jerked his head toward the couch beside them, where Ambrose was bound in rope and a gag.
---
Ambrose looked up at Michael with emotionless eyes. He had accepted not too long ago that he wasn't getting out even if he tried so there wasn't a point in struggling.
---
Michael speculated Ambrose in suspicious interest and then shook his head. “No, no, move him to my room. The cops’ll find him here easy. I’ve got a window we can sneak out if they find us here.”

Nobody questioned Michael’s judgment and they helped carry Ambrose into his room. Joe cursed under his breath as he helped Ambrose into Michael’s room. When they were alone and Ambrose was sitting on Michael’s lush king-sized bed, he swiped Ambrose’s gag. “Damn, I was hoping they wouldnt move you in here. I was hoping we could sneak out of here later tonight.” Joe whispered to him, letting him know the plan was still on.
---
"Okay," Ambrose whispered softly back, seemingly hopeless.
---
"Hey, Reuben is fine. I know it." Joe nodded and patted his chest. "I can feel it in here, I really can. I'm not worried." He lied.
----
"...okay." Ambrose bowed his head sadly, barely believing him.
---
Joe frowned and lifted Ambrose’s head by his chin. “He really loves you. He really does. The first night we kidnapped you, he couldn’t sleep because he was so worried.”
---
Ambrose just looked away. “I know… that’s why I’m worried…”
---
“That’s why you’re worried?” Joe didn’t understand.
----
“I’m worried he’ll do something stupid because he loves me.” Ambrose looked up at Joe. “Aren’t you?”
---
“Stupid? Like what? Reuben isn’t stupid.” Joe said that like it was a fact. “He’s the smartest person I know...Other than Michael.”
---
“Then… I guess it doesn’t matter.” Ambrose shook his head.
---
“Reuben didn’t have much of anyone special to him in his life-”

“Joe.” Michael was standing in the door to his room. “Time for bed.” He was behaving as if Joe were a little kid with a bedtime.

Joe re-adjusted the gag into Ambrose’s mouth but Michael stepped forward and grabbed his arm. “No need, leave it. Just go.”