Keep Sleeping, Joe

After their goodbyes, Reuben and Joe rolled onto the road again. Their road trip continued in silence as it normally did except this time, Reuben wasn't showing Ambrose any affection. He practically ignored him altogether, leaning one elbow on the open window and smoking. 

---

Ambrose was a little offended by that but he didn't actually mention it and just sat between the two men awkwardly.

---

About an hour into their drive through Arkansas, Joe turned off the radio and smiled at Ambrose and Reuben. "So what took you guys so long?" 

"Hm?" Reuben tossed his cigarette to the road and rolled up his window. 

"Last night. You didn't come inside." 

Reuben's jaw tightened and his gulp was audible.

---

Ambrose noticed Reuben stiffen up but he didn't see what the problem was. However, he did have enough sense to know to let Reuben handle the situation.

---

Reuben knew his pause looked suspicious but his mind blanked and he couldn't think up any lies. 

Joe tore his eyes from the road and connected he and Reuben's gaze. "So?" Honestly, he wasn't accusing them of anything because he was oblivious to their literal love making. He was just trying to make conversation but Reuben was acting weird.

---

Ambrose rolled his eyes. "We went on a drive." 

---

"Oh, really? That's weird. How come?" Joe and Reuben definitely weren't normal kidnappers. Joe was acting more like Ambrose was some distant friend/cousin of theirs. 

Reuben rubbed the back of his neck, the image of Ambrose's tongue dangling from his mouth while panting Reuben's name played itself over and over in his head. 

---

Ambrose shrugged. "I don't know. He wanted to drive a bit but didn't trust you to watch me."

---

Joe raised an eyebrow at Reuben. "Really? Reuben wanted to drive? I thought you hated this car." He was speaking to Reuben now who was still caught up in the memory of last night. 

---

Ambrose huffed. "I'd want to drive a bit if it meant getting away from you, too."

---

Joe gasped so abruptly that he choked. "What?! You don't like me? How could you not like me? Is my singing bad?" 

Reuben relaxed just a bit. "You're singing is wonderful, Joe." He rolled down his window again and let the buffeting highway wind drown out Joe's offended tone.

---

Ambrose bit his lip to suppress a giggle.

---

"Guess I'll keep my mouth shut then." Joe grumbled to himself and focused on driving instead of making conversation.

"Did you and Angel catch up?" Reuben asked. 

"We had a wonderful night, thanks for asking." Joe bounced his eyebrows. 

"Joe." Reuben snapped. "I told you not to do those things with my sister." 

"What things? We just kissed a little…" Joe lied. 

"I'm not daft." 

---

Ambrose opened his mouth to say he was a hypocrite but decided not to because that was embarrassing.