Wreathed Fidelity (Calvin x David)

Calvin should have expected the town to be crowded on valentine's day, but what he didn't expect was all the attention his florist stand was receiving. Calvin was posted on the corner of an intersection along a street of downtown boutiques. He felt his location was perfect, and his prices were excellent. The only problem was the period and the race he just so happened to be. Calvin was an African-American standing 5'3 dressed in a wooly grey sweater, a red peddlers hat, and black suspenders connected to tan pants. His frizzy brown curls were smashed flat beneath his cap, and his eyes were a chocolate brown that blended with the color of his cocoa skin tone.

"Thank you, and best wishes!" Calvin greeted and waved goodbye to customers with a giant smile on his face, handing out bouquets for less than five bucks left and right. Today was the busiest day of the year, and Calvin was glad he was prepared for it. He had fully stocked his wooden stand with fresh bouquets of various flowers he had meticulously organized in wrapping paper.

"Looking good, Calvy!" Sarah- the tall blonde sales clerk from the boutique to the left of David's stand, approached him dressed in a grey turtleneck sweater and a wooly brown coat. "Lot of business today?" She gave him a big smile and a thumbs up.

"Yes, lots!" Calvin handed out another bouquet of daffodils after accepting cash from a customer.

"What's the hottest?"

"Roses, of course."

"Ah, mind if I snag a fresh batch for the shop? Julie is snipping the buds and tucking them in men's front tux pockets like corsages."

"That sounds lovely! Thorns or no thorns?"

"No thorns, silly!"

After Sarah paid for her flowers, the smell of diesel and manure wafted up Calvin's nostrils. He turned his head just as his supplier's green truck parked on the street beside his stand.

Calvin watched the driver step out of the vehicle, and as he did, the entire car visibly lifted when the farmer relieved it from his weight. He was a 6'7 black man with arms that could lift anchors like mere bricks, and he wore nothing but blue overalls. He had a bald head, and a chin coated in tiny black delicate curls with a matching pair of overgrown black eyebrows. His stoic expression lightened into a gentle smile as he approached Calvin with the load of wooden crates he unpackaged from the tail of his truck.

As David approached his stand, Calvin turned around and checked his reflection in a portable mirror from inside his wallet. He tugged on his hat, checked his breath, and then sprayed a bit of homemade perfume on himself before turning around with a smile that mirrored David's.

"Hello." Calvin cleared his throat and then shuffled through his wallet, plucking out a wad of cash for David.

"Mhm. Happy- happy…"

Calvin looked up at David with a pair of raised eyebrows. The physically intimidating figure's blathering threw him off.

The big man's eyebrows knitted together, and he looked the slightest bit embarrassed that he was taking so long to get the words out. 

"Valentine's day?" Calvin finished for him with a smile.

David's lips spread out of relief, and he nodded his head.

"Thank you." Calvin stared down at the cash as he counted it.

David started to turn around to grab the next crate from his truck, and then Calvin looked up, "oh, and you too!"

David whirled around and nodded enthusiastically.

"Excuse me."

Calvin whispered numbers under his breath as he counted the cash, but he paused to respond without looking up from the dollar bills, "My last batch of thornless just sold out."