Chapter 24

We were brought back to the court after the police had found us.

"So knowing that you did hurt her in all the ways you have, why did you hurt her?" my lawyer asks Rowan. Rowan looks him straight in the eyes and says "I didn't intend to hurt her. By any means everyone has a different definition of love. I was just showing mine to hers." Rowan says.

"So what you're saying is that your apparent love-language is abuse and rape?" he questions Rowan. Rowan clenches his jaw and looks down. "Mr.Clay you have to answer the question asked."

"He's calling me a rapist and I have no idea why I am being hated for loving the love of my life!" Rowan says, raising his voice. "Mr.Clay you need to calm down." the judge says.

"You're right, I apologize."

"I see you're very familiar with the term'' apologizing. Did you apologize to Malia before you started hurting her or even when you made little mistakes Mr.Clay?" he asks Rowan.

"Objection." his lawyer says. But the judge allows it. "I'll allow it.".

"Fuck off I hurt her because I love her and she deserves it sometimes. I bet you half of this is a misunderstanding. She belongs to me anyway. I can do whatever I want with her." Rowan says as gasps erupt from the jury.

"CALM!" The judge says trying to control the whispers and gasps around.

"You know you claim to say Ms. Rivers doesn't know love because of the abuse she went through before also saying that she deserved it yet you hurt your previous lover. Love is not abuse or rape yet you think it is. Mr. Clay, are you sure you know what love means-" my lawyer gets cut off by his, saying "Your honor."

"I'll allow it since it seems like he's trying to make a point and considering it's cross examination." the judge says.

"Did you love her when you carved your name along with another word claiming her as yours on her thigh." he says, dropping the photo of evidence to Rowan. He lifts up the others and points to them "Did you love her every time you punched or kicked her. Did you love her every time you raped her? Did you love her here when you imprinted the initial R on her stomach with your cigarette and did you love her when you made your hand comfortable around her throat constricting her breath."

"This isn't love. This is abuse and torture, this young lady is troubled. Many people go through domestic violence-" he gets cut off by Rowan "This is not domestic violence!" but continues.

"If he gets off this means the cycle isn't ending. The cycle of pain because in my eyes this is domestic abuse. It's a toxic relationship and he's manhandling her. He violated her, and he continued to abuse, hurt. manipulate, and gaslight her. If the marks and color etched upon her skin isn't enough to show you this." he says as he gives the photos of my body to the jury as they pass it around.

"But if this is how Mr. Clay represents his love to his girlfriend then I have nothing further to say." my lawyer says as he sits down. They call me up to the stand again and I get questioned again, everything I say is the truth and nothing less.  

"Can you tell the jury why you decided to testify today?" the judge asks me. 

"I've always looked forward to loving another person other than my family. When I was younger I used to see my parents expressing it to each other before my dad left and my mom blamed and hurt me for it. Somehow I moved on even though with nightmares and ptsd but because I made friends along the way that helped me. When I met Rowan I was fascinated by him. My whole trust went into him and I dropped my best friend for him and moved out of the country for him. The first time Rowan hit me was because of jealousy, and anger. That was a pure accident but the rest of it wasn't. He was always controlling and not just in a physical way but in an emotional and mental and verbal way. I've read books and watched shows with domestic violence and abuse but I came to testify because even though a part of me that hates him fights with the other part that still loves him so much I'm scared that he'll hurt someone else. The cycle never ends, abusive people hurt people. I want it to end, and I went through it. I want to be a survivor not a victim." I say in one breath inhaling as much as I can.

"You can go now Ms. Rivers." the judge says.

                                                                      ...

After a few moments we're back in the courtroom to hear their decision.

"Has the jury reached the verdict?" The judge asks.

"Yes, we have your honor." A man from the jury says.

"On the charge of rape we find the defendant guilty. On the charge of kidnapping we find the defendant guilty and on the charge of abuse we find the defendant guilty." the man from the jury says.

"Rowan Clay you are sentenced to 13 years in prison. Members of the jury, we thank you for your service." the judge says as I breathe in relief, pain, and guilt. Quinton whispers to me "I wish it was longer but it's better than nothing."  as we leave. We leave the area and I'm just thanking my lawyer with everything in me repeatedly, "Listen," he says grabbing my shoulders "You deserve it, okay? You deserve to be happy and experience love with someone who'll make you feel like you hung up the moon. I happen to have seen a person who'd make you feel that exact way." he nods towards Quinton laughing with the rest of them.

"Now I have to go, Good luck sweetheart." he says as he hugs me and presses a kiss to my head. I see Rowan making his way out with his hands behind his back. It's like he feels my eyes on his because he looks at me and smiles. Abuse, love they both feel the same, what's the difference?

A/N:I tried to make this as realistic as well as possible also emotional I-uh- I mean-. Well I love you. This was the last chapter, and I'm crying. Just wait for the epilogue. Should Rowan have gotten a larger time, I was trying to make it realistic cause you know some people get away with it? I love you, stay safe! <3