CHAPTER 9

Y/N's out on their mini basketball court to practice for the upcoming basketball tournament. While shooting some hoops, their dad saw them. He smiled seeing Y/N working hard, making him proud of his son/daughter.

"Y/N! Mind if I join you?" He called Y/N. Y/N turned their head to their father and smiled while passing the ball to him.

"Of course, Dad!"

Other than being Y/N's father, Gong Yoo, is also the head coach of the basketball team of Shinhwa College University, which is the school where Y/N transferred to. Y/N really dreamed to be coached by their own father since he is known to be one of the best basketball coach in South Korea and that's why Y/N chose that university.

"How are you doing?" He asks Y/N while shooting a ball to the ring.

"I'm doing good, dad. I've got good grades in school and as you can see every time we have practice that I'm doing my best for our team." Getting the ball and passing it again to their father.

"That's great but I wasn't asking about your performance in school or basketball." He said shooting the ball again to the ring. Y/N's brows furrowed in confusion while looking at their father.

"What I meant was how's your life? How is your heart lately?" Their dad asks, passing the ball to Y/N.

"Oh. Haha. Well, I'm doing good? I guess." Y/N replied, trying to shoot a three points.

"Come on, let's sit for a while."

"Okay, dad."

Y/N and their dad sat on the bench at their mini basketball court.

"Well, Y/N. I can't remember since the last time we've talk about your life and as your dad, I want to be there when you needed someone to talk to when you don't have anyone. So come on, spill it out. I know there's something bothering you even though you don't show it."

Ji-Cheol patted Y/N's shoulder. Y/N sighed deeply and showed their father a weak smile.

"I guess you caught me. Haha."

"Of course! I'm your dad and you're my only child so how could I not know when you're not okay." He gave Y/N a smile which they returned it back.

"Come on, Y/N. You can tell me."

"You know dad. I didn't know that heartbreak would hurt this bad." Y/N said while spinning the ball with both of their hands.

"Why? What happened?" Ji-Cheol looks into their son/daughter intently.

"Rosé. I never knew I'd like her since she's my bestfriend and I'm too scared to confess to her since I didn't want to lose her. You know Mark, right? Well, he's the one dating Rosé. Haha. My girl bestfriend dating my boy best friend." Y/N shakes their head with the thought of it.

"Rosé told me she likes me too the day we went to the amusement park. I thought she'll give us a chance but when I was about to visit her the next day. All my hopes were gone by the time I saw her with Mark. Giving him another chance. Giving their relationship a chance again. I know Mark will keep her safe and will take care of her but you know, dad. Seeing someone you love with another guy? It just freaking hurts. That's why I decided to accept Shinhwa's offer to me so that it would ease the pain that I am feeling inside." Tears left Y/N's eyes. Their father soothing their back to comfort them.

"I thought I am doing fine now. I thought the pain is all gone but here I am. Haha. Crying again. I loved Rosé first, dad. But I guess knowing and loving her first doesn't really matter. If only I told her what I feel about her before Mark. I would be the one where he is standing now."

"Y/N. Sometimes you have to let go of your fear and try to take the risk to get what you want. Love is about sacrifice and it's not bad to confess your feelings to someone, even if that person is your best friend or not. At least, you told them what you truly feel about them. In that way, you won't feel any regrets. Your friendship with that person may grew awkward but you can also get back to the way you both used to. And I want you to know also that love is also about acceptance. If that person doesn't like you back, you should learn to accept it and move on. You may not know that the person that is meant for you is just right next to you. Don't close your heart to someone if ever that someone comes into your life."

"You're right, dad."

"Now, you choose, do you want to keep on going with your feelings with Rosé or start to move on and open up your heart to someone? You don't have to answer me that. Just think about it."

"Thanks, dad." Y/N said and hugged their father. Ji-Cheol patted Y/N's back.

"Ji-Cheol! Y/N! It's time for dinner!" Y/N's mom called them.

"Coming!" Ji-Cheol replied.

"Now. Dry your tears before your mom make a fuss about it."

Y/N chuckles at what their father said while they stand up and walks back to their house.