The other place

Lauren and Y/N were scientists trying to find what was beyond death.

So, Y/N was the experiment.

She would fall just under a medicated coma, to come back and tell them what she saw.

No one ever knew why Y/N agreed to this, but Lauren did.

Her wife, Lucy had died a few years earlier and Y/N tried to make things seem like she was fine.

She wanted to meet Lucy in death, to find one last glimpse of her.

Even if it was something stupid like this.

She laid on that bed in the lab, an Iv in her arm.

"Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," she gave Lauren a small smile.

"Count back from ten for me," she nodded her head, slowly beginning to count.

"Ten," Lauren got the injection serum ready.

"Nine," Y/N shut her eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Eight," the Cuban cleaned off her arm with a sterile wipe.

"Seven," She took the cap off the needle, placing her hands on that smooth skin.

"Six," their fellow scientists watched from behind the glass.

"Five," Lauren gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek before pushing the needle into her skin.

"Four," Y/N squeezed her eyes shut when she felt the burning of the serum entering her veins.

"Three," Lauren withdrew the needle, immediately grabbing Y/N's hand when the heart monitor began to warn her of her lowering heart rate.

"Two..." she sounded almost in a trance.

"One," Lauren spoke for her when she went silent and her breathing evened out.

She had the equipment ready to resuscitate her, just waiting.

She didn't realize just how scary this would be for her.

One wrong move and Y/N wouldn't survive this.

This was only trial one.

They had three.

Each leaving Y/N dead for a longer time.

She waited, heart dropping into the pit of her stomach as she watched the woman's breath's stop completely.

Her heart rate was dropping fast, sending the machine into loud beeping fits.

Lauren started the timer as soon as she flatlined, sweating bullets as she held that limp hand.

As soon as the five minutes passed she grabbed the adrenaline shot, injecting it into her chest and starting compressions.

"Come on, baby! Come on!" She brought her lips to those cold ones, breathing air into her lungs before going back to giving compressions.

A few doctors came in to help, calming when the woman gasped for air.

The monitor showed her heartbeats, showing how they became more steady over time.

"She's back," Lauren grabbed her hand, holding it.

"Lucy?"

"Y/N, baby it's me. It's Lauren," she told her, tearing her away from her dazed state.

She was taken for a cat scan of her brain to make sure nothing was damaged.

After a few more tests, she was brought back into the lab room.

With the serum they created, Y/N's brain and organs were protected.