♔10| Coming Clean

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"MY FEET HURT. . ." Maxine Mayfield grunted, slowing to a stop as she tried to relieve some of the pain shooting through her feet and up her leg. She held onto the nearest tree to lift up each ankle one by one, stretching them out. They had been navigating through the woods, for what felt like hours, and she'd had about enough. The redhead wanted nothing more than to simply wrap up all of this nonsense and move on. 

The two younger boys perked up at her words and stopped in their tracks as well, spinning around with to face her with hopeful looks. Only when they saw her unamused look, did they feel silly for even thinking what they were. What were they gonna do anyway.. give her a piggy back ride? 

Neither of them would mind, they thought individually. 

"What are you two looking at?" She folded her arms in annoyance. The boys were at a loss at her words, mouths hanging open as they rubbed the back of their necks awkwardly. They both muttered apologies.

Audrey smirked as she overheard the brief exchange from behind her, not even needing to turn around to catch onto what was happening. 

Steve and Audrey were in the lead, keeping alert in case something unexpected were to occur. In that moment, as the youngest kids had been far enough behind to not hear his words - the boy thought it the best time to tell Audrey something he had on his mind for quite some time. Something he hadn't been planning to admit anytime soon, or ever, for that matter. But he couldn't get it out of his head that if they were to meet an unfortunate fate, he wanted to be sure that his true feelings were known. Reciprocated or not. 

"Adds," He started, and she looked at him curiously, her comforting eyes shining like crystals - despite the darkness that surrounded him. The way she looked at him, caused his knees to waver slightly and he gulped nervously before continuing. "I think we should talk." 

She nodded slowly but skeptically, staying silent as she awaited his next words.

"I know that I already apologized to you before. . . for what I said to you when-"

"Steve, it's alright," She cut him off gently. "You had a lot going on."

"Nothing that should warrant me ever speaking to you like that." He said more firmly.

Her eyes softened even more, if possible, and he felt the patter in his heart begin to beat out of rhythm. Even after such an unwarrented outburst, she still treated him with the utmost grace and empathy. Audrey knew him better than anyone, and knew that what he had said was purely in the heat of the moment. He knew this didn't make it right, however, and cursed her neverending kindness. She was not making this very easy for him. 

"Audrey. . I. . ." He started, eyes now trained on the ground, a few steps ahead of his current pace, as he gained some of his confidence back. "I don't ever want you to take shit like that from me again. Got it?" 

"I pull something like that again, and you have every right to hand my ass to me, okay?" 

"Steve, where on earth is this coming from?" She giggled. This had seemed so out of character for her best friend.

"I mean it. . . You're the last person who deserved it, and I really mean that. God, you mean so much to me, far more than you could possibly believe, and I never want to lose you."

Now Audrey was confused. 

He took a quick breath before continuing on, not wanting to drag this on any longer.