♔ 03| Social Services

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

ELEVEN SAT ON THE COUNTER, SPOON IN HER HAND AS SHE CONTENTLY ATE THE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM BENNY HAD GIVEN HER. Closing had long since passed and they were all in the kitchen. with Benny washing the dishes. Audrey observed the runaway girl with a small frown, trying to decipher her thoughts after what she had witnessed. She didn't want to bring it up to her boss because she was almost a hundred percent sure she hallucinated it and the last thing she wished to do was trouble him.

"You like that ice cream, huh?" Benny quips, attracting the girls' attention. Eleven looked at him and smiled. It seemed to be one of the most ordinary things the pair had seen the girl do all day. It almost made Audrey forget that the young girl might possibly be an extraterrestrial being, plotting to invade earth.

Almost.

A loud knocking that resonated from the front door interrupted their moment and Eleven's smile dimmed immediately. Her shoulders tensed and her whole demeanor appeared to shift. She seemed nervous.

"Stay put you two. . ." Benny said hesitantly, placing his hand out in reassurance, making his way over to the door. He didn't want to voice his concerns and stress the girls out without a substantial reason so he kept cool.

As soon as he was far enough away, Eleven and Audrey made eye contact as if coming to a collective decision. They clambered over to the countertop, hoping to catch a look at what was going on by the front door. Doing this brought Audrey back to her childhood. She recalled the days when she would stand on the banister and watch as her mother and father argued. Being so young, she never truly understood what was going on and as sad as those memories had been though, it brought a familiar rush that Audrey missed more than most things.

Benny opened the door to see a woman, seemingly in her mid-forties. She had short blonde hair that began to gray and a stern look upon her features.

"You must be Mr. Hammond." She greeted, tone firmer than she seemed to intend. 

"Afraid so. We're actually closed -- why don't you try back tomorrow?" Benny offered politely, starting to shut the door. The woman extended her hand, halting it before it could shut and she stood up a bit taller.

"Connie Frazier, Social Services." She introduced, her cold voice sending chills down both the girls' backs. Audrey couldn't place it but it was a feeling she most definitely never wanted to feel again and she clenched her fists. Benny stopped trying to close the door, realizing that they had in fact gotten his call and he shook the hand that the woman hadn't yet retracted, embarrassed.

"Didn't think you were gonna make it here so quickly. That's a heckuva drive." Benny stated, slight suspicion lacing his tone.

"Not too bad this time of night." Connie smiled reassuringly, although it was anything but. Benny nodded his head in understanding and cleared his throat, lowering his voice.

"Listen. I still haven't told her about you. I didn't want her runnin' off again. She's a tad skittish." He explained.

"Children I work with usually are," The woman explained. "Where is she now?"

"In the back. Come on, I'll introduce ya." Eleven turned back to Audrey, an alarmed look on her face and she shook her head quickly. She opened her mouth and formed the word that put everything into perspective for Audrey.

'Bad.'

Figuring they had something to do with the young girls' initial appearance, Audrey felt a strong obligation to protect Eleven. Benny turned towards the kitchen and the girls gasped quietly before ducking down, worried they'd been seen. Eleven shut her eyes tight, praying to just be invisible at that very moment.

"Apologies again for trying to turn you away. It's funny, your voice, it sounded different on the phone --"

"Mr. Hammond?" Connie called. Benny turned back around.

"Yeah -- ?"

A muffled pop sounded from the dining room and both the girls' eyes widened. Audrey jumped up, checking to see what had occurred just in time to see her boss's body fall limp on the floor. A scream threatened to tear from her lips, tears flooding her eyes as she was stood there, paralyzed.

 And in that very moment, Audrey had accepted her fate. She allowed herself to believe that soon, the woman would take notice of her paralyzed state and shoot her dead as well. If staying behind and allowing Eleven to run would keep her safe, then she was prepared to take that chance, no questions asked. Fate wasn't having it however and a small hand gripped onto the girl's wrist, pulling her towards the back door. The force itself caused Audrey to shake out of her thoughts, the adrenaline kicking into her bloodstream and giving her one goal.

To get out of there.

As they approached the screen door, they noticed two agents, standing by the door; trapping them. The older girl muttered a curse wondering how she could possibly get them both out of that situation. She stepped in front of Eleven, placing her arm out in a protective manner as she glared down the men. One of them smirked viciously and raised his hand to his hip, reaching for the gun carefully placed in his holster.

The lights started to flicker, interrupting Audrey's moment of heroism and she turned around to see the girl, staring at the two men.  Her grip on the older girls' hand tightened and the air began to thin. Audrey viewed the scene, wide-eyed as the two men fell to the floor, unconscious. Eleven wiped her nose, pulling away her arm to reveal blood and Audrey gasped in surprise, reaching for her. She had no time to process what had happened though and before she knew it, Eleven reached her hand out once more, taking Audrey's as the both of them set off into the dark night.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*🐝 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
ahoy ladies! ( and gentlemen ). it is with great pleasure and joy that i present to you chapter three!! agh this whole book makes me smile. anywho, i prommmisssee the others are showing up SOON ( next chapter or so ) because the plot i set up for Audrey requires these 'set up scenes' which i hope are interesting enough to tolerate :') alright i talk to much so I'm gonna head out now! bye <3