♔ 21| Hospitals... Gross

・゚: *・゚:*🐝 *:・゚*:・゚

WHEN AUDREY CAME TO, THE FIRST THING SHE NOTICED WAS THE EAR SPLITTING HEADACHE. She winced and raised a weak hand to her head. Her palm met what she believed to be gauze, that was wrapped tightly around her head. The second thing that was brought to her attention, was the soft bed she was lying on, far too comfortable to be her own. Finally, she peeled her eyes open to scan her surroundings.

She was in a small room, with a single window on the other side, covered by a curtain that barely blocked the sunlight. She blinked a few times before bringing her attention back to herself to assess the damage. After she noticed the gauze that was also wrapped around her hand, and the same bandaging around her torso, she knew where she had to be and she sighed.

"Audrey?" A voice whispered and her eyes darted to her bedside.

"Hopper?" She croaked, clearing her throat after. The sound of her own voice was foreign to her ears and it made her cringe slightly. "What happened?"

She studied his face carefully as he seemed to try to formulate an answer for her. He seemed conflicted.

"You were attacked." 

An image flashed in her mind. There Nancy Wheeler stood, backed against a wall as she stood before a dark figure. The picture disappeared almost as fast as it came and Audrey gasped.

It was as if the dam of her memories finally gave way. The bath, her following Jonathan and Nancy, and then the monster.  It was a sight she couldn't ever forget. Its growling as it hovered above her. The fear she experienced in that moment bubbled back up to the surface and her heart rate began to pick up.

"Oh." She replied at a loss for words.

When she had jumped in front of Nancy, the only thing on her mind was that she needed to protect her friends. Not once had she thought of what would have actually happened to her.

"I thought I lost you," He spoke, barely above a whisper, voice cracking. Audrey watched him wordlessly, partially because she was confused, and the other reason being the ache in her throat. His eyes were red and puffy and they looked as if he hadn't had sleep for a while. "When we got back.. Everything seemed like it was okay. But just for a second."

He stopped and shut his eyes for a few seconds, The silence that followed was chilling. It took him a about a minute before he finally gathered the courage to reopen his eyes and speak. "I can't lose you too."

Audrey stretched her hand out and held it toward him. She knew there was more he wanted to say but she wasn't adamant on forcing it out of him. Hopper looked at her hand in a moment of hesitation and then finally lifted his to meet hers.

"I know." She assured, smiling softly. As scared and confused as she was in this moment, she couldn't imagine what it must have been like for him.

"Look," He started, clearing his throat roughly. "I know that step-mom of yours has been giving you a hard time lately.."

At the thought of the woman, she found herself mentally rolling her eyes.

"So if you ever need a place to crash, I have a spare room I cleared up.." He trailed off, nervously looking down.

An wide smile wormed its way onto the Valentine Girls' face. "You cleaned for me?"

"Hey, I clean." He defended, scowling at her now.

Audrey began to laugh. Her moments of mocking fell short however when it was replaced with rasps. Hopper worriedly looked at her, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"I-I'm okay." She wheezed, waving him off. He didn't look like he believed but before he could protest, the door opened to reveal a tired looking Steve, and a frantic Mason. Upon noticing their friend was finally conscious, she was immediately trampled.

"I thought we agreed I was gonna be the first one in this group to kick the bucket." He tutted, grasping her cheeks in his massive hands and squashing them together. "Nice joke. Now get up."

Hopper reluctantly stood up and approached the door, announcing he was going to get her a glass of water. His words fell on deaf ears however and he simply rolled his eyes and exited the room.

"Hi guys." Audrey squeaked.

"Hey there," Steve spoke quietly, as if he would somehow injure her if he were any louder. His eyes held a specific sympathy she had barely seen before and her heart clenched.

"Mason," Audrey huffed painfully, looking her best friend in the eyes." Please let me go."

Her friend immediately backed off of her as if he'd been burned and he shook his head.

"From now on, I'm walking you to school because this is just ridiculous."

Audrey looked at Mason with confusion, opening her mouth to question him when she was interrupted.

"You got hit by a car." Steve said, eyes watching her carefully. It was then that she knew that nobody had caught Mason up on what had happened. She wanted to tell him more than anything but the look on her best friends' face advised her otherwise.

"Oh... Right." She muttered solemnly. "I remember now."

Mason rolled his eyes.

"Hey! I said only two visitors!" Called a voice. All three of their heads turned toward the hallway where the sound had come from. It was followed by the rough sounds of footsteps, almost like a stampede and three more people entered the room.

"Audrey!"

Mike, Dustin, and Lucas barreled into the room in hurried steps, Mike taking the lead. He tried to catch his breath as he looked her over.

"Hopper said you were up and I- we just had to see you."

"And you know what else!?" Dustin exclaimed.

"They found Will!" Lucas finished for him.

Dustin elbowed his friend roughly.

"I wanted to tell her that!"

"Well boo-hoo."

Audrey giggled softly at that, ignoring the pain that shot through her stomach.

"Anyway. The doctors said he'd wake up soon so we can take you to go see him!" Mike said.

"Woah woah, guys she needs to rest." Steve warned.

"Yeah, yeah" Mike waved him off, not even sparing him a single glance.

"Hey, where's El?" Audrey asked, the smile still engrained into her features. She had assumed she may have been outside with Mrs. Byers but still found it suspicious she hadn't come in.

The energy in the room shifted like the drop of a hat. The boys' faces dropped and Steve and Mason looked confused.

"She's not here..."

Audrey's eyebrows pulled together.

"Not in the hospital?" She questioned slowly, not grasping what they were on about.

"No." Dustin replied.

"Then where is she...?"

Mike cleared his throat and let out a shaky breath.

"She's gone."

・゚: *・゚:*🐝 *:・゚*:・゚

tell me your thoughts!!! this was the last chapter of season 1 (aside from the epilogue) and for some reason, i struggled to finish it. i really hope you enjoyed and are having a great day!

love ya

gigi <3