♚ 08| Sex and Money

・゚: *・゚:*🐝 *:・゚*:・゚

"YOUR BOYFRIEND'S PRETTY CUTE." Cynthia complimented, watching the Byers boys from the kitchen window. She had previously traded in her gum for a cigarette, puffing out smoke every time she opened her mouth.

Audrey visibly cringed. She wasn't exactly fond of the cancer sticks that seemed to be all the rage and even the sight of one brought back unwanted memories. As squeaky clean as her record had been for behavior, she couldn't deny that she had stayed completely away from cigarettes in the past years. Since then, she had changed and she never intended to go back.

Instead of immediately denying the label the woman had placed on Jonathan as her lover, Audrey just shook her head, burying her face in her hands. She didn't get why friends couldn't be friends without the complications of a relationship.

"You're dating his father..." She trailed off, not wanting to sound like an ignorant and judgemental teenager.

"What's the fun in being tied to one person?" Cynthia sassed, purposely blowing out smoke in Audrey's direction, making her cough.

Audrey decided not to respond to that statement, and hoped she could recover by changing the subject.

"When did you know you were in love with Lonnie?" Audrey asked seriously, looking out the window at the younger Byers boy. Before her previous conversation with Earl, Audrey would have thought of feelings towards Jonathan being simply inhumane. According to her friends, she seemed to be quite oblivious to one's feelings and had probably friend-zoned more boys than she could count and wanted to know for sure if that's what her friend felt before delving into something.

Unexpectedly, instead of receiving a heart to heart answer about how starstruck she had been, Audrey's question was answered in laughter. Cynthia slapped the table as she attempted to catch her breath, wiping imaginary tears from her eyes.

"Love? Child, nobody has time for love. The only real thrill in life is in sex and money these days."

Audrey opened her mouth to protest but before she could, the door opened to reveal a fuming Jonathan. He paced across the kitchen and reached over, snatching Audrey's hand within his own.

"Let's go."

Audrey stumbled out of the chair, attempting to regain her balance.

"Jon, what is going on?" She questioned as soon as they got outside of the house. She ripped her hand out of his grasp, refusing to leave unless he told her the reason. Jonathan froze and turned around quickly, running a hand down his face.

"He's an asshole, that's what's going on!" He snapped.

Audrey watched him carefully, inviting him to keep talking.

"He has no respect for me, my brother - hell, even my mom! What kind of mother doesn't care enough to watch her kid."

Audrey's heart panged in her chest, knowing her not-so-motherly mother was just like that. But she knew if she were to bring it up, she would make him feel guilty, having another thing to worry about. Because of that, she ignored her own feelings for the purpose of her friend and wrapped him in a side hug.

"You can tell me more about it in the car, okay? I'm here for you." She reassured, taking his hand and leading him to the car that would bring them far, far away from Lonnie and his girlfriend.

・゚: *・゚:*🐝 *:・゚*:・゚

"Did you want to... Come in or something?" Audrey asked as she stood by the driver's side window. She bit her lip nervously in anticipation, some piece of her deep inside hoping he would say yes.

Jonathan looked straight into her eyes for a second immediately regretting it as he shook off his thoughts.

"Nah, I should go. There are some things I gotta do."

Audrey nodded, brushing a strand of hair behind her head.

"Yeah, of course. Tell Brenda I said hi." She waved him off. He backed out of the driveway, leaving Audrey with an empty feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"Look who finally decided to show."

Audrey turned around to face the cold glare of Brenda Valentine, standing before her with one hand on her hips and the other balancing Baby Leilani.

"Hey, Brenda." Audrey sighed, walking past her and made a beeline for the door.

"Not so fast young lady. Where have you been all day?" She demanded, authoritative tone kicking in.

"I was out with a friend." She replied curtly, getting slightly irritated. It was the condescending demeanor Brenda gave off that unsettled Audrey. Someone in power feeling as if they constantly need to reassert themselves.

"I don't want you hanging out with that boy. Who knows what he's capable of. I forbid it"

Audrey's jaw dropped to the floor. She was well aware of the woman's dislike to nearly everyone she knew but banning her from spending time with them? That was the last straw.

"You're forbidding from hanging out with my friends?" She asked incredulously and Brenda nodded as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You can't do that."

"I can and I just did." She stated firmly.

"You know what, Brenda? Just because my mom died and you're married to my father, doesn't give you any authority over my life." Audrey seethed. "And before you go on and on about me being an 'ungrateful --" She stopped briefly to glance at her baby step-sister watching her with wide eyes. The wide blue eyes that were her father's, then hers, then the infant herself.

"The point is, you're not my mom. So stop acting like it."

And with that, Audrey stormed past her dumbfounded stepmother, overflowing with anger. Her palms itched with a need to do something reckless. This was the problem with people like Audrey. They could be so sweet and polite but when they were pissed off, you better watch out.

As soon as she reached the kitchen, Audrey ripped the phone off the wall, dialing an all too familiar number.

"What's up?" Steve Harrington's voice greeted.

"Hey, it's me."

"Adds? What's up?"

"I changed my mind. I'll see you soon."

--

what about that for a chapter? what do you think is going on with jonathan? will someond finally make a move, or will it crash and burn. i love you all so much! thanks for reading.

-gigi <3