Birthday Wishes

It had been 2 days since they saw Max on the TV, Lucas came by the Hopper's residence to say hello and catch up. He enjoys Dustin's stupid jokes and Will's snarky comments. El's birthday was today though. He had no idea what to get her, but he ended up getting her a gift card to her favorite mall. I bet she missed Her and Max's trips there together.

He thought it would be appreciated on his behalf.

——————

*ring ring*

"Hello? Will speaking"

"Hey Will, uh let me know when is a good time to come over to give El her birthday present." The voice on the phone spoke 

"Uh sure, you could probably come over earlier in the morning, maybe with a box or two of donuts. I think El would like that." Will recommend 

"Sure that sounds good, I'll be over in 15" and the phone hung up after that

—————

Lucas went to wake up Erica and told her that if she didn't wake up she wouldn't have donuts. We all know that is the motivation for a young Sinclair. They both hopped into his maroon impala and drove to get two boxes of 12 donuts. They got a variety from glazed to chocolate or strawberry with sprinkles. Maybe even a few jelly-filled for Hopper.

They drove up to the house and Lucas parked the car on the street. He and Erica each grabbed a box of donuts and then went to knock on the door. 

—————

*knock knock*

"Hey Will! I brought the donuts like you said" Lucas told him with a wide smile as both he and Erica walked into the house.

"They smell good too, I highly suggest you get this birthday girl down here before I, Lady Applejack chow down on them" Erica said in her sarcastic demanding tone.

"Okay, okay alright" Will said in response not wanting to get pushed over by the Sinclair.

——————

El had come downstairs followed shortly after by Mike. Dustin had come over a little later and they all had a good time talking laughing and eating donuts. Until a knock was heard at the door Dustin opened it and the "delivery" man asked him where to set the package down. He ended up setting it in the living room in front of the TV. The party was so focused on the package they didn't notice the delivery man run off the bathroom.

They examined the box carefully there was no postal sticker or stamp, or tag saying who it was from. They decided just to open it, El and Mike both got on each side of the box. El started to rip the tape off from the two connected flaps of the box lid. And there she was standing up with her hands up from the confetti she threw. Her face still looked the same as El remembered but her smile was wider she wasn't sad all the time like she was back then.

"Surprise?" Max said as she chuckled at El's face from her reaction.

"Max?!" El responded, "don't you think you could've come by a while ago?" She joked as she helped her friend out of the box and pulled her into a hug.

"Eh I guess but I have many reasons why I didn't. Also, give me one of those donuts Stalker" Max smirked at Lucas.

"Max! I'm so glad to see you again" Dustin said as he hugged her. Dustin and Max have had a mutually understanding friendship, ever since that first day at school. They both enjoyed each other's company and joked about the stupidest things. Dustin knew that she looked at Lucas differently from him. He understood. 

"Yeah well, I missed you guys too! I've had some very busy things come up from the championship win to interviews. Hell, they even invited me to the NBA draft later this week!" 

Lucas froze, he wasn't sure what to do should he tell them? Should he leave it a surprise? He walked back to Max and handed her a donut. He looked at her, she had matured her attitude changed she was like a whole new person. She was taller her hair was just as pretty as it was. 

He decided against telling the party of his enrollment in the NBA draft. He thought it was only fair seeming how Max hadn't told them about her things until now. He would like to see the shock on her face when she sees him up on that stage accepting his team jersey.

——————

Max and Billy left for the airport 2 days prior to El's birthday there were a few paparazzi who snapped a photo or two of them but it was whatever. They boarded their plane to Hawkins, and the lady who was at the ticket counter asked why she wasn't flying first class. "Why waste money when you're going to the same place? By the end of the day, your ears are still going to pop either way" Max had said in response.

It was around a 4 and a half hour's flight which was not bad. Billy had a glass of champagne and then fell asleep. Max had ginger ale and then she planned out the whole surprise for El. She could just imagine the looks on her friend's faces seeing her. Though she didn't know about Billy they had a few complications in the past but Billy changed and stopped doing drugs. He got rid of his facial hair and styled his hair differently. 

All in all the plan was a success and she was happy, though she would have to fly back to California for the Draft at the end of the week. It all worked out for her present to El, Max asked her if she wanted to become her supervisor which El graciously accepted due to it making them hang out more often. But that also meant that she had to fly with Max and Billy back to California for the "Event" they were going to attend.

——————

I hope you guys enjoy this one too! I loved writing this 

Keep your eyes out for the next chapter!

- Macy