Presumptuous

(of a person or their behavior) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.

------------

It had been a few days since her panic attack and reassurance from El. Max still feels like she needs something. Her ankle is not as irritating as it was the past few days, sure it was uncomfortable to walk on but she managed. Max knew that the Party would be having a game night, they all expected her to not come but here she was showing up with Lucas and Erica. The Party was very excited to see her.

They only saw her when she was still in the hospital in NC, well except for El and Lucas who saw her the past few days. Will got up enthusiastically, in fact, he practically ran to Max. She held her arm wide open for a hug while her cast arm lay still against her chest in a sling. Will graciously took it upon himself to accept her gesture, further following Will was Dustin who decided to wait for his hug instead of engulfing the two in a group hug. 

"We're so glad you're doing better Max!" Will proudly stated with a huge smile.

"Me too Will, I am glad to be walking. Honestly, I don't think my muscles would have recovered from all the aches if I was still in bed." Max stated in response whilst sitting down on the sofa in the living room.

"Hey, can I get you three anything to drink? Water, soda?" Dustin offered them. "Alcohol too?" Mike tiled in the conversation, she shook her head and rolled her eyes at Mike. 

"I'll have some water, thanks Dustin" Max smiled and turned her attention to the selection of games set out on the coffee table. She looked over at El who was sitting in a chair across from the coffee table. El gave her a smile and sat up a bit more, the two of them discussed what games to play as the boys came back. 

Dustin handed Max a glass of water and then sat down, Erica sat next to Max and Will on the other side of the hothead Sinclair sibling. Lucas sat next to Dustin on the floor and Mike took the other chair across from El. It was insisted upon Max that the Party would play Monopoly. So they set it up, Will was named the Banker and was handing out the money to each person. 

------------

"HA! Suck it, nerd!" Erica yelled as Lucas landed on one of her many properties. "Hand over your rent Lukey~" she proceeded to tease him. 

"Fiiinnee. Only because I know Max would slap me down the stairs otherwise. And for the record, she hits really hard!" Lucas said while handing his sister an orange 500 bill. 

Erica rolled her eyes as she stacked up the money. Max scoffed, "Oh come on Stalker, don't be ridiculous. You're lucky I haven't left a mark" She smiled at her snarky comment which made Lucas fake being hurt by her words. Dustin laughed at the comments and rolled the dice for his turn to move. 

Erica continued on with the conversation, not satisfied. "Pffft- you're lucky she even kisses you! In fact, half the time you both are cuddling and talking. I bet I can count the times you've kissed on one hand."

The sound of the die bouncing off the table was heard. Everyone stopped with wide eyes, Max made it clear that she wasn't going to speak. Her face was clearly red as was Lucas's. El was giving a worried look not sure where this was going. The silence was broken once again by the loud Sinclair girl. 

"Oh come on! they were going to find out sooner or later, and besides, I was getting tired of Mike and Dustin being presumptuous! Oh and don't forget about me, I was being forced not to nag and joke about you two for months! it was miserable" Erica finally took a breath and then got up and walked to the kitchen to refill her glass of soda. 

There was silence again, then Mike spoke. "Dammit! now I owe Will 30 bucks!" Everyone looked at him. "WHAT?!" most of the Party spoke in unison. Max finally spoke, "you, Mike Wheeler, made a bet with Will Byers about OUR relationship?" she asked while forming a hand gesture to her and Lucas. 

"yeah....it was stupid too." Will commented, "but hey! I am 30 bucks richer!" he laughed. Mike reached into his wallet and handed Will a 20 and a 10-dollar bill. 

"wait so what was the bet and when did it become a bet?" Lucas piped up. 

Mike and Will both think back. "uhhhh I think it was when Max and Billy came over to my house, we were all there. Y'know when Max was passed out on the couch." Will spoke. 

El sat up. "Will that's cheating! that's the night I told you about it!" Dustin spat his water back into his cup trying not to make a mess of his living room.

"yeah well, we made the bet before you told me, so that night when we went to bed I told Mike that I wanted to raise the price!" Will admitted confidently while he admired the money Mike gave him.

------------

That night no one was declared the winner of that Monopoly game, but deep down they all knew it was Erica. Will was the one who felt like the winner though, due to his gain of 30$. In the end, Max and Lucas were ratted out and had to admit and forcefully give details about their relationship to the Party. 

Sure it was all fun and games, but Max kinda felt relieved. Sure it was embarrassing but she felt lighter in her chest. Though she knew that they only now had one problem. Media. They had to keep up their act if or until they wanted to be done and cut the bullshit with the public. For now, she could rest easy and enjoy the time with Lucas. Even if it was around the Party, they didn't care now. They all weren't the 14-year-olds they once were. 

------------

oop, Erica ratted them out to the Party. and Will is rich now- well 30$ richer.

I hope you enjoyed it!

until next time,

- Macy