The Photo

Will and El, well mostly Joyce had insisted on gathering up for dinner. Max took this as an advantage, ever since their conversation. Max and Joyce have been a little more comfortable with each other. So Max knew that she could share her plan with her. Seeming as if she was the one who would most likely take the photo of all of them together, y'know to "save the moment".

Max had nostalgic thoughts about her early days, calling everything stupid. As she felt the idea she had made was incredibly childish and incredibly stupid. Even though Lucas had agreed to her idea, she still felt unsure and was beginning to second-guess herself. They weren't going anywhere out to eat, just over to Byers's house again. They might also hang out at the Wheeler's, the idea was still in the air. Since they were going to their house, it means that attire doesn't matter and they could wear anything they wanted. 

It was 6:50 by the time Max and Lucas were ready to leave his house. Lucas decided on wearing just a basic sweater paired with some jeans and a belt to hold them up. Max wore tan pants with a graphic T-shirt and had managed to steal one of Lucas's hoodies from the team. He rolled his eyes as she stepped into the passenger seat of his car. Max looked at him with a sharp glare, he laughed and began to start the car.

Max knew that she would more or likely use this car ride time as an excuse to talk. It had been on her mind ever since Lucas and she had agreed on the idea. She was still unsure how to approach the topic, but she knew that she didn't want to wait anymore and become a block, shut down, and not do anything.

It was just them two in the car, a faint smell of fall in the air. The sound of music from the car along with the sound of her thoughts in her head, dancing in circles. Lucas noticed, more than he wanted to. It made him furrow his brows, and a pit in his stomach formed. He hated seeing her in this state. He took a breath before speaking to her.

Lucas cleared his throat, "Max." He called as he took a quick glance at her. She turned her head and looked at him, even though he won't necessarily looking at her, she answered back with a mumble.

He frowned before he spoke. "I know something is bothering you, if you don't wanna talk about it now that's ok. I respect that, but please don't keep it to yourself. It will break you." He encouraged her to talk with his words and sweet smile. It did its magic.

Max sighed and placed her hands in front of her, twirling her thumbs. "I'm just concerned that it won't work out and I know I'm overwhelmed and overthinking things, but El told me to relax so I don't get sick again. It's just hard and I'm not sure I like my idea any more than I originally did." Max groaned and took her head in her hands. She began again, talking about how she was scared and uneasy.

Lucas had sat quietly and taken her words into account but he knew she was starting to ramble. "Max" he called her name. Yet she continued on, "And I just don-" she stopped when she heard him firmly call her name. "Max!" He looked at her finally as he pulled up to a red light. "It's okay. We got this! And if you don't feel comfortable going through with the plan, then scrap it. We can always just do it later. It won't matter to me. As long as I am with you, nothing matters, I could care less." 

She smiled and nodded at him, "Thank you." Lucas leaned over to her, telling her that it was what he was here for and that she was just letting the situation get the best of her. Max agreed and laughed at her stupidity, she took the advantage of him leaning over. Their lips touched, and they both lingered there a while before the air found its way back in between the two beings.

The light turned green and he drove again. Though they were talking about scrapping the idea of that photo, it was already too late as another was taken. 

——————

Lucas pulled into the driveway of the Hopper/Byers house, he placed the car in park. The two of them stepped out of the car and began walking up to the front door when it opened suddenly before them. Max flinched, it startled her. It was just Dustin impatient and eagerly awaiting the arrival of his best friends. 

"Lucas! Max! So nice if you to join us, Joyce is in the kitchen and the rest of us are scattered around the living room and house." He told the pair as he closed the door behind the three of them. There was a loud clatter of steps heard from the stairs, "Max, Lucas!" It was Nancy. Max wasn't nearly as close to the older girl, but on occasion, they would be fond of a healthy conversation about random stuff like politics or some things of the sort. 

"Hey Nance, err- what's with the sudden action of running down the stairs? You never really care that much about embarking on a conversation." Max asked her with a confused face.

Nancy huffed as she finally stood next to the three of them. "Well in some cases I wouldn't care but when it involves you two and a problem...then I kinda have no choice" 

Dustin, Max, and Lucas all looked at each other with anticipation and concern.

"Well, what's the said problem?" Lucas asked her in hopes of it being something not big. He was damn wrong.

"This." Nancy took her phone and turned her screen so the three of them could look on the screen. It was an article about Max and Lucas and a picture of them sharing a kiss in the car. It was titled, "MadMax's Not-so Secret Lover Revealed!". Max grabbed the phone and scrolled through the article.

'Well-known skateboard professional, Max Mayfield is seen out in the streets with assuming "boyfriend" Lucas Sinclair. The two are seen here in the picture sharing a kiss in the front and passenger seat of Lucas's car. Who else is just as ecstatic as we are that these two lovebirds are finally together?  

After an interview not too long ago it was stated by Max herself that it was in the realm of possibility she had a lover. Though never stated, most of the community had assumed it was Lucas Sinclair. With their interactions at the NBA Drafts last year. The two have yet to reveal any information but expect something soon folks! 

P.S. She's even wearing his game jacket, that's a sure giveaway."

Max's eyes darted from the phone to Nancy and then to Lucas. Trying to see their reactions, she held her breath. "Shit! Goddamnit!" Lucas groaned, and Nancy only looked with apologetic eyes. "How did you find out, about this article? Damn. I'm sure it's getting read and now we're going to be in the news tomorrow as well...ugh!" Max smacked her head.

"Well since I am an extremely active member of the writers of America, I get notifications about articles and whatnot. I chose to look at it, but I normally ignore the notifications. When I saw your guy's name I wanted to tell you immediately. I know that you guys are going to freak out, let me know what I can do to help."

And with that, the crew was doing what they do best to help in situations that stressful, hang out and ignore the world. Though Max and Lucas were internally screaming, they chose to deal with the situation tomorrow or another day.

——————

Lmao notablescholar77 figured out by inspo for this chapter, (Tom and Zendaya kiss). What did you think of the trick? It's a different photo than assumed.

Anyways- Thank you all for the 5.6K! I adore you all for reading this <3

Chapters will be slower because of high school but it is what it is. Hope you enjoyed and I'm sorry for the late update :(

See you in the next one, whenever that is,

- Macy