Weird looks and Hugs

It was an ungodly hour of the morning when the three of them arrived at the Byers. Such adjustments make one redhead clingy and quiet. El and Max would step in the door to a full house with their friends. Apparently, they were all very determined to stay awake for their arrival back home. 

Max was not hearing in on many of their conversations but the one she did listen into was one with his name. Though it wasn't a long story, it was more like a comment about how Lucas had flown in that morning so that's why he was here before the three of them. 

Max knew her heart skipped a beat when Dustin and Will were talking about it to El. She hadn't talked to anyone yet. She let them hug her and tell her that they were glad she and El were back, other than that she hadn't said a word. She noticed a figure sitting on the couch with something in their hands. Most importantly, she noticed the couch. She saw her eyes start to shut just at the thought.

She didn't care if they had set up a bed for her she was too damn tired to care. She leaned forward and scooted to the figure, finally deciding to use that person as a pillow. And she may have found herself wrapping her arms around the figure's leg. She didn't care, she was comfortable and tired so as soon as that happened she was knocked out.

It took a moment to realize that Max was no longer standing near the doorway, Dustin and El had looked for her around the kitchen and checked the bathroom. Not a redhead in sight. "El" someone called her name, she knew it was her Mike. Though she was confused as to why he was quieter. El had wrapped her arms around Mike and gave him a confused and questioning face until he kinked his head toward the front room.

She looked and saw a clueless Lucas with Max using his lap as a pillow and asleep. He was mouthing words that would be equivalent to words "help" or "why and how". El, Mike, Will, and Dustin had looked at the scene with weird faces bestowed upon them. El only questioned why Max never wanted any PDA. If it was her feelings she would keep them away and not show them. Max would never voluntarily put herself into a situation like this.

———————

"I'll keep in mind to use Lucas as a pillow next time we have a sleepover" Dustin teases the boy, who in return gives him the death stare. At one point Billy had looked in upon the scene and explained that if she was overwhelmed and tired, or at worst...drunk. She would become this monster of clingy and stick with whoever she had bestowed upon her. It got them thinking, mostly El.

Max probably was majorly overwhelmed and tired from her panic attack, her feelings, and the flight here. She felt sorry for her but she knew that Max hates it when she showed pity toward her. They all looked as Max has stirred in her sleep, now actually hugging one of the pillows on the couch. 

Yes, they might all be in their 20s but it was still fun when they got to joke around and have blackmail. Yet Lucas and El begged them not to as she brought up what Billy had said and explained her thoughts about her mental state. They agreed to let it go.

——————

Lucas had found himself pondering about what El had told him. About her mental state, he knew of only a few moments, like when she told him about one incident with her and Neil. She never talked about it otherwise. Lucas was smart now but pretty dumb back then so when his mind somehow just figured out that Max's walls were down when she was around him. It made him feel special, not that he hasn't before, like when he got drafted or when he first made friends with the party. 

He just let her lie there while he found a comfortable position to sleep in, seeming as if he was her pillow for the night. All he knew is that he and Max need to talk, talk about the 4 years, talk about them and talk about their careers. Max knew it too. 

——————

6:30 AM

That was what the clock said as Max looked at it. And then proceeded to sit up, she was startled by the dark figure next to her on the end of the couch. Stood up and walked to the kitchen and sat on the bar stool at the counter. Her face flushed in remembrance of earlier that morning. She sighed, turning her head when she heard footsteps coming. 

"Good morning" the lovely voice of Joyce was heard entering the kitchen.

Max exhaled, grateful that it wasn't Lucas who came in. "Morning" Max replied groggily.

"Sleep okay?" She asked as she was pouring two glasses of water, passing one to Max.

"My pillow kept moving, but other than that I couldn't tell you, I was too knocked out" Max joked as she took a sip of water.

"Look, I know you are probably very tired of hearing this but...as the unofficial mother of everyone, are you okay? Billy had told us that you were overwhelmed due to your. How do I put this? Clingy state." She finished.

Max knew that her walls were getting stiff but she also knew that she needed to change them. She took a deep breath and looked at Joyce. "No...I'm not. My walls, everything. Everyone, I feel guilty. Even Billy knows how delicate I am right now. I don't want to show it but I know if I don't. I won't get any better." 

Max had admitted in a short summary. She felt a tear running down her cheek, she didn't even try her best to wipe it away. She felt a warm pair of arms wrap around her, pulling her close.

"I'm sorry, it's ok I get it Max. Just let it go. I know that you probably want to explain but if you don't mind I have to make breakfast for a full house. So if you would like to help and talk at the same time, I'd have no problem with that." She smiled holding Max's face in her hands and wiping her tears.

So that's what they did, and eventually, Lucas got up and helped. Joyce saw the few glances they were giving each other. She knew that they probably had a lot to do that day. But Joyce was happy that Max finally admitted that she needed help and didn't push her away. She explained the same thing to her as she did to El. Max and Joyce had made an agreement that they were always there for each other and that they would talk whenever Max needed. Ending their conversation in a hug.

By the end of the morning, the table was filled with food for everyone in the house. As they ate the question of sleeping well came up again making Max scare the shit out of Dustin with her glance to not bring up the subject, leaving a few people to laugh.

——————

A little longer chapter than normal but hope you are enjoying it!

More to come so stay tuned!

-Macy