Fast Forward

Throughout that week,  Lucas and Max had a few very deep in thought discussions about them and what the future might hold. He knew that they were both busy people even though he only played 3 games so far, he easily became a fan favorite. He was establishing his own band of followers around social media along with fans in the court. It made him happy, but Max made him happier. 

When she came to him with a late-night talk about what happened at Benny's, he understood her anxiousness towards the situation. He knew that this pressure about the situation that the two of them were in, was sure to pop soon. He didn't want all of it to get to Max's head, if anything it would cause her harm. It would get her distracted from her work and sleep as well. Which meant that it would eventually get to him, for now, he just wanted to help her.

That night the two of them had talked about outcomes, and what the public would think. It came to mind that they both had very supportive fan bases and especially friends. Either way, things could turn out, He reassured her that it doesn't matter what the public thinks because they love each other and that they would do anything to see each other. In any circumstances. 

She agreed and they came up with the idea of giving small hints every now and then. Whether it is in public or on social media, they would post something just to put it out that they could possibly be in a relationship. And around their friends, they'll get to it later. 

------------

Lucas had a game on the Tuesday of that week, though he was happy that it was going to be held in Virginia against a team he didn't remember, though it didn't matter. He was just relieved that the two states were only a few hours apart, it would be easy travel. Max's game was that Saturday so he had told the Party that they could all share an Air-B&B in North Carolina and he would go down there first and drive up to Virginia for his game. They all agreed to his smart recommendation and he went to start packing. 

The Party all said their goodbyes and he started the drive to NC. He of course hung out with Max the entire day before he left, boy even though it was only a few days he was going to miss her still. 

------------

El had informed Max that her game was that Saturday, but she recommended going through her run as much as possible. So that's what she did, most of the time it was just her. Sometimes a few of her fans that were at the park would come and watch, she didn't mind. Max liked to show off, especially if it was around Mike, he hated it! That's exactly why she did it though. Seeing him angry gave her confidence and enjoyment. 

Max had told El that and she laughed, she wasn't sure if she was laughing at her boyfriend or the fact that Max liked to push his buttons. Either way, she didn't care.

------------

Lucas's game was being broadcast that night and they all agreed to watch it at Steve's house. Gosh, when was the last time she heard that name? It must have been years, she had to know how well he aged in the 7 years they had grown. Sure El, Mike, Will, and Dustin had seen him since their college days. But she hadn't. She missed him dearly, he was always being called the mom, but she saw him as a brother. It was a very good one too, sure he and Billy had their moments but they all worked it out in the end. She was happy. 

Max and Billy (who was forced to come) had ridden over with the Byers and Mike. Because god only knows what would happen if she tried to skate over there...she'd get lost. The thought made her laugh to which Will looked at her confused.

"I laughed because If I just came by myself I'd get lost, it's been that long since I've seen him. To be honest the only thing I would wish for him is to be aged well" Max looked to Will as she confessed. Will laughed as well and they both agreed that she was right.

There were a few other cars parked just in the street in front of the house. Mike parked where there was room and they hopped out of the car and began to walk to the house's front door. Billy knocked on the door, and it opened. 

"Am I dreaming or is that you Harrington?" Billy sarcastically asked

"Yeah it's me, don't cream your pants" Steve answered as the two men embraced each other with a hug. 

Steve then let go of Billy and looked to Max, his eyes wide and mouth hung open. 

"Wow, look at you! you're not as short as I thought you'd be" Steve teased her as they gave each other a hug. She let go and she then spoke. 

"And you're not as wrinkly as I thought you'd be!" Steve rolled his eyes at her comment.

El laughed at the banter between the two and then walked inside. The rest of her friends entered slowly after. Max walked in and looked around the living room and there she found Robin, Vickie, Nancy, and Johnathan. Apparently, Eddie and Chrissy tagged along as well. Though she didn't see them. A wave of hey and hello were said and they all sat down gathering the TV. 

There were a few light conversations that Max heard but didn't speak into. She was just glad that she was here and that she and her friends were going to support Lucas. It was a few hours that they were there watching the game, Lucas scored a total of 14 points in that game. She watched it happen again when he scored the last point. Except for this time she wasn't listening through the radio, he had all her attention. 

He got really excited, as did the rest of the team. He walked to the front of the camera and made the letter M with his hands and placed it over his heart. It made her love him even more than she already did, no matter how badly she didn't want to admit it. El looked at her and smiled, she knew what Lucas was doing, and it was working.

------------

My heart is content with this chapter, hope yours is too! <3

I have chapters lined up with plots in drafts but I haven't written them yet so expect more updates soon! 

- Macy