Acceptance

The Pair had stepped out of the car with their belongings, starting to walk up to the front door of the Sinclair house. As Lucas was turning the handle, the door opened and Erica made herself loud and clear in the doorway.

"Where were you Lucas!? You told Mom you were going to call on your way back from the Byers, now you made her worried and she's gonna have an ass to kill." She scold him only to just now realize Max was standing on the porch laughing.

"Oh, hey Max! Would you mind, if you could, drag my brother up the stairs and to his room? I mean that literally not figuratively by the way! Moms gonna want to have a word with you." Erica directed towards Lucas as she rolled her eyes.

"Now I see why you and Max get along so well, you both excessively roll your eyes. And not to mention you both somehow come at me with such bold remarks!" Lucas said as he pushed Erica out of the way to get inside.

"Your one to talk Lukey" Erica said as she closed the door behind Max, who had just stepped inside. She had finally turned her head to Max and smiled as she walked to hug her. 

"I've missed you y'know Max" Erica smirked

"You've grown so much! Look at you! And you've even taken after me with all your sarcasm!" Max smiled as the two girls pulled apart. Erica smiled at her acknowledgment.

"Just the facts" she chuckled in response.

Both of the girls walked into the kitchen and had a kind discussion about how each other was, along with the fact that Max was practically famous now. Though she didn't want to talk about it if Erica did ask she would answer. Thus, they enjoyed themselves, for the time being, she heard footsteps and turned around to find Mrs. Sinclair. She smiled and came up with the comment of her only coming over for her infamous cheesecake. To which all three of the women laughed at Max's eager nods in response.

——————

*time skip a few mins*

She knocked on Lucas's door after much thought, she was going to accept her feelings and tell him everything. She hopes she won't have a total freak out like when she was telling El. The door opened with a light creak sound, with a smiling darker figure on the other side. She looked up at him and tried to say something but she hesitated. Lucas just has her a hug and reassured her that it was okay. He signaled for her to sit down on his bed, and she accepted and sat.

Lucas looked at her with eyes of concern and interest. To which she smiled nervously in reaction. Even though they were more mature, she still hated the weird feeling of...? She sat up straighter and her face flushed. She tried not to convince herself that she actually...Loves him? She had to contain her current thoughts for later, right now she needed to explain herself.

She sighed and began to speak.

"Look Lucas. I'm sorry, I'm sorry that I'm a bad friend. I'm sorry that I didn't reach out to all of you guys, I feel terrible about it and I feel guilty. I know that you probably think it's dumb, but it really bugs me to know that I'm not a good friend. I know that all of you were sad when I was gone but I needed it to help me and...Billy. I know things are weird between us because well you know past events. But I want to cancel out that weird feeling and say I'm sorry." She stated to him. Her head was bent to her knees as she didn't want him to see her face let alone her emotions. 

He was shocked nonetheless to hear that from the girl, he felt bad for her but most importantly he was just so focused on the fact that she admitted her feeling to him. It was slight but he knew what she was trying to say.

"Max, I'm sorry too. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you any more. I'm sorry that you have all the media attention nowadays, I know you don't find it ideal. But it's okay, we'll get through it" he looked up at her and smiled.

"NO, Lucas you don't understand! It's not okay! It's bad and I know you're just trying to cheer me up, but right now is not the time! I don't know what to do or who to blame." Max said in anger. 

He paused, he never was the best at this type of stuff. He figured he'd try a new approach. He bent down to Max and pulled her face just in front of his.

"Max I get it now. I understand, I always have in some way. I feel like you needed that time away to fix yourself and clear your head space." He paused "Max! Look at me! I'm serious." Her blue eyes adjusted from looking down to right in his chocolate pair.

"I accept your apologies, all of them. Okay? I'm here for you now, like I was back then. I'm ready for this to be over and set behind us." A tear rolled down her face and she nodded, Lucas let go of her face and stood up from the floor. He pulled her and brought her into a hug. It was a long hug, she needed it. 

They pulled apart and Max looked at him again. He looked back and with some hesitation, they both leaned in till their lips touched. She wasn't exactly expecting Lucas to initiate it but she didn't hate it. It made her happy almost as though she could roll onto a bunch of clouds. They finally pulled apart and brought each other into another hug. Max chuckled in Lucas's ear reminding herself about the Draft. Lucas had whispered into her ear when they walked off the stage.

"What? What's so funny?" Lucas questions

"Totally Tubular, Stalker. That's all" they both smiled and began their way downstairs.

——————

With all said and done she had stayed for dinner and of course the delicious cheesecake! Lucas offered to drive her back to the Byers' house which she graciously accepted. As she was leaving, Mrs. Sinclair pulled her into a hug at the front door. Max wasn't expecting this to happen but she accepted her hug.

"I missed you, Maxine, you know I really missed you and Lucas together. It makes me happy that you both found your way back to each other" she smiled at Max who was flushed in the face.

"Oh dear, never discount a mother's hearing and assumptions" Mrs. Sinclair chucked as she waved goodbye to the couple in his car.

——————

by the way, if you didn't get it, what Lucas whispered to Max as they were walking off the stage was "This is Totally Tubular".

And thank you for almost 2k reads, it makes me happy seeing all of you who love this story. Thank you <3

Next chapter soon~

- Macy