Prologue

Frank was sleeping soundly, or at least, he was trying to, but the pesky sunshine that was peeking through the curtains he had failed to close all the way last night was doing its best to prevent him from returning to his dreams.

Frank was way too lazy to actually get up and shut them though, because he knew once he moved, he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, and he was in no way ready to wake up and face the day just yet.

So instead, he snuggled into his husband's side, blocking out the harsh light by burying his face against Gerard's chest and listening to his steady heartbeat. Gerard didn't stir at all - not that Frank expected him too, his husband could probably sleep through an earthquake without noticing the phenomenon, and that wasn't an exaggeration.

Gerard always slept in late, even though Frank usually didn't; on a typical day, Frank would already be up and headed to work by this time, but his week vacation had started today, so he actually got the luxury of sleeping in for once.

Frank enjoyed his job, even though being a pilot wasn't what Frank had originally planned on doing, but when his band LeATHERMOUTH hadn't worked out, Frank had to think of something else. He had always wanted to make music, but as he grew older, he realized that it wasn't exactly practical, and Frank didn't really like being a front man anyway, with his social anxiety - not to mention his shitty immune system, it was almost more trouble than it was worth.

Then one day, when Frank and Gerard had flown to California to visit some family, Frank had discovered his love of flight. Before then, Frank had never been on an airplane, so he had no idea what he had been missing out on. As soon as the wheels left the runway, Frank's heart had soared even higher than the plane. It was as if Frank had been born to fly, and he felt more at home in the air than he ever had on the ground. As soon as they had returned from their trip, Frank enrolled in flight school, ecstatic over the fact that he had finally found his calling.

Frank had started out as a commercial airline pilot, but he hated being away from Gerard for such extended periods of time, so when he procured a position as a pilot for a nearby skydiving center, it had been a dream come true. Now he got to come home to his loving husband every night and still fly for a living - it didn't get much better than that.

Still, Frank had been looking forward to his vacation, and even though he knew he would miss the exhilaration of being in the air soon enough, a whole week of nothing but him and Gerard was a welcome change.

Gerard worked from home, selling his paintings online and doing a few shows in the local art gallery, and between the two of them, they made a decent income. Even if they didn't, it wouldn't matter though, because they were both doing something they loved for a living, and happiness was more important than money.

Frank was pretty sure he would be content cleaning toilets though as long as he was with Gerard. Everything about him was perfect - in Frank's eyes at least, and he made the world a thousand times better by just existing.

Ever since that random encounter in the library almost fifteen years ago, Gerard and Frank had been inseparable; it wasn't long after that before they started dating, and they had finally tied the knot three years ago, which had been the best day of Frank's life.

Frank had never been a believer in true love until he had met Gerard, but now all those things he had read about in story books made sense. Gerard was his soul mate - he knew that for a fact, and every day he woke up next to his husband made Frank fall for him just a little bit more.

It was the only way to explain the strange connection they shared, which Gerard had admitted to feeling as well not long after they had met. It was like their hearts had recognized their other halves, even though they had never met before, and that feeling hadn't faded away - if anything, it grew stronger over time.