Epilogue

The first thing Gerard noticed when his eyes reluctantly cracked open was the lack of pain; nothing hurt, not even when he stretched his muscles delicately to test that fact. Gerard was almost afraid to look down at himself, expecting to view the angry burns that he had become accustomed to over the past few days, but when Gerard allowed himself a quick glimpse at his arms, they were clear of any mar or blemish.

The next thing that caught Gerard's attention was the warmth of another body pressed against his own, and even though Gerard already knew who it was without receiving any visual confrontation, his breath still caught in his throat when he turned his head so he could drink in the sight of Frank dozing peacefully with his hand curled around Gerard's wrist as if he needed to know he was there even while he slept.

Gerard couldn't stop staring at Frank, because he was healed as well, not a single wound was visible on his inked skin that Gerard could see, but it was the act of watching the gentle rise and fall of Frank's chest that brought tears to Gerard's eyes, because for the past few days, his breath had rattled in his lungs, each inhale had been painful and hard fought, leaving Gerard afraid to look away in case he missed the moment when Frank would cease to breathe at all. The involuntary action had never seemed so important to Gerard until just now, and he knew he would never take it for granted again.

Frank shifted then, tucking his nose into Gerard's side as he snuggled closer to him, his hair falling across his face as he did so. Gerard stayed frozen in place, too frightened to move in case everything shattered around him, wanting to enjoy this precious snapshot for as long as possible, although there was nothing to disturb them here, no conflicts, no prophecies, but that fact hadn't quite sunk in just yet.

It was as if they had transported back in time to their old home, to when they were human and none of this madness involving monsters and supernatural beings had ever happened, but also different at the same time.

They had been through so much, and those trials had only strengthened Gerard's love for his husband. The overwhelming devotion he felt toward Frank was so intense that his body seemed to be struggling to contain it, and Gerard imagined that he could sense it spilling out of him in a pink tinged haze, his emotions so vibrant that they were manifesting themselves in ways that he hadn't known was possible until just now.

Reluctantly, Gerard forced himself to take a quick peek at his surroundings, and even if God hadn't explained to Gerard where they were going beforehand, he had a feeling that he would know he was in Heaven simply by the atmosphere of this place.

They were in a secluded room that somehow managed to appear cozy and spacious all at once. Through the window to his left which was shedding light across the furnishings, Gerard could see a small garden filled with colorful flowers and winding pathways that he reminded himself to explore once he found the motivation to get up.

That was easier said than done though, especially since the bed he and Frank were in seemed to be woven of silk and clouds. The mattress molded to his body in a way that put his old memory foam topper to shame, the sheets gliding across his skin pleasantly every time he twisted so he could get a better look around.

The adornments of the small space weren't anything special, in fact, they were quite similar to the possessions Gerard had owned on Earth. There was a small dresser next to them, as well as a wardrobe and a larger set of drawers pressed against the far wall, but that was where the similarities ended.

The wood, or whatever material they were created from was pure white, and the longer Gerard stared at them, the more he began to notice the faint sheen that seemed to emit from everything, even the walls. It gave the room a comforting aura, filling the air with ripples of muted colors that washed over Gerard in waves until he was sure that his skin was gaining the unique quality as well.