24: Bruised Tailbones And Awaited Arrivals

After the buzz caused by Lucifer's arrival had died down, Gerard found himself quickly losing the thrum of energy that had been pulsing through his veins since he had arrived. He had assumed that the Leviathan would be making an appearance soon, but apparently it was still deep underneath the water, and they had only been called since its movements had grown much more frequent compared to the previous weeks.

Not knowing what to do with himself, Gerard wandered around idly, making sure to keep Frank in his line of vision at all times as he explored Bob's camp, catching up with a few demons he vaguely remembered from his short stint in hell. Gerard even ended up dozing off at one point with his head cradled in Frank's lap after they had shared a light lunch with Mikey and Billie Joe, which wasn't what he had planned on doing with his free time, but it killed a few hours at least.

Just when Gerard had reached the point where he had nothing better to do besides lie on his back and count how many birds flew by overhead, the number increasing with every rumble of the ground which incited the winged creatures to flee, the largest quake yet hit them, physically lifting Gerard up from his stationary perch before depositing him back down roughly, his tailbone aching slightly from the harsh landing.

"Gerard," Frank's voice rang out from where he was standing a few feet away conversing with Brendon, "you okay?"

"Yeah," Gerard groaned grumpily, shakily regaining his feet before rubbing his sore ass gingerly, "I can't say the same for my butt though."

"Come here you dork," Frank giggled quietly, throwing one arm over Gerard's shoulder when he reached his side. "Do you need me to kiss it better?" Frank teased, earning them both an obnoxious eye roll from Brendon in return.

"If something doesn't happen in the next five minutes then I'm totally taking you up on that offer," Gerard chuckled, rubbing his eyes which felt gritty and swollen due to the sand that was kicked up with ever tremor. "I'm so bored Frankie," Gerard complained, putting on a whiny tone even though he knew Frank couldn't do anything about his current predicament.

"I know love, but it's almost time, we just have to be patient."

"I never thought I'd actually want this thing to show up," Gerard sighed, clutching tighter to Frank when another earthquake shook the beachfront, causing the nearby tents to shudder in an alarming fashion, but nothing broke at least.

"Billie Joe said it should be surfacing within the hour as far as he can tell, see baby - the ocean is moving way more than it should."

"Yeah it is," Gerard nodded, his eyes squinting slightly as he gazed out at the blue expanse before them. "Wait - what the hell is that?" Gerard gestured with an outstretched arm, pointing to an odd dip in the waves that seemed to be dragging the water down into it, almost like a small whirlpool.

"Shit," Brendon cursed, rising up on his toes slightly so he could get a better look at the anomaly. "Billie Joe told me that would happen when it started moving, which means our waiting is about to end. I've got to gather everyone together," Brendon explained, his face going blank for a moment as he sent out a mental message to the now scattered troops.

Gerard busied himself with staring at his fingernails while the angels and demons on their side began to flock around them, nervous energy flooding through his body again now that he had something to focus his attention on. Brendon took to the air briefly, stationing himself atop a small hill so he would be easily seen, pacing back and forth until everyone appeared to be present. Billie Joe joined him not long after, conferring with Brendon briefly, but Frank and Gerard stayed where they were at, holding tightly to each other while they waited to hear what Brendon was about to say.