20: What Better Way To Prove You're In Love Than Fucking

Frank slowed his pace once they were fully immersed inside the cave, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the gloom. It wasn't completely dark, Frank could make out Gerard's figure with ease, but he couldn't see much beyond a few feet, and he was reluctant to keep walking until he knew what lay ahead of them.

The air around them was thick and muggy, and although Frank had been freezing not two minutes ago, he could already feel his hair beginning to stick to his neck with sweat. Pressing closer to Gerard's frame, Frank stopped moving completely. When he extended his senses, he became aware that the area around them was larger than it appeared, but he still had no idea if the floor was free of pitfalls or not.

"Please tell me you know what to do now?" Frank chuckled weakly, ignoring the damp quality of his palm which was still clutching Gerard's hand tightly.

"We go forward I think. That odd feeling is still pulling at me," Gerard murmured softly, his voice echoing oddly until it seemed as if the repeated syllables were raining down around them.

"Lead the way," Frank gestured, shifting his position so that Gerard was in front now instead of Frank. He could still faintly feel the sensation Gerard was talking about, and it got stronger when he was touching him, but he would rather rely on Gerard in this since he seemed to have a much better connection to whatever was leading them.

"What do you think is waiting for us?" Gerard asked as he took a careful step forward, shifting his feet slowly as he went. Frank stuck behind him like a second shadow, occasionally bumping into him when Gerard stopped sooner than Frank expected him too.

"I honestly don't know, but it can't be that bad - right?" Frank shrugged, although Gerard couldn't see it.

"I hope so," Gerard sighed, falling silent after that so he could save his concentration for navigating around the dimly lit room.

Frank prayed that his words wouldn't prove to be false, but he had faith in Michael. He couldn't imagine that the archangel would have purposely put them in danger, and if Billie Joe was correct and he and Gerard were the ones spoken of in the prophecy, they should have no trouble retrieving the sword in theory.

"Is it getting brighter in here, or is that just me?" Gerard spoke up after a long period of nothing besides their breathing breaking up the still air, snapping Frank out of his thoughts and back to the situation at hand.

"No - it is," Frank agreed, his neck craning back and forth as he registered the fact that there was indeed a light source coming from somewhere. The cave was still littered with dark patches, but it was becoming clearer by the second, allowing them to increase the speed of their forward motion by a fair margin.

The scenery was nothing special, in fact, it looked exactly like Frank would think a mountain cavern would. The ground they walked upon was made of dull gray stone interspersed with small cracks every few feet. The ceiling was dripping with stalactites, some so low that Frank began to get worried that Gerard was going to hit his head at a few points, but Gerard managed to avoid the few sharp points that came close without ever once looking up.

Frank peered over his shoulder, trying to find the door they had entered through, but the small entrance was already hidden from view, leaving Frank to wonder if they had traveled a much further distance than he had previously thought, or maybe they had made a turn somewhere that Frank had missed, which would explain why he could no longer locate their only exit from this place.

"Frank - look," Gerard gasped in awe, bringing Frank's attention to the wall in front of them instead of their surroundings.

Frank's jaw dropped open once he took in what was before them, his hold on Gerard's hand tightening as he stared at what might have been the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.