16: This Is Much Better Than A High School Reunion

In Frank's mind, it seemed as if Gerard's transformation took ages to be completed, eons even; his screams went on for so long that his voice cracked and grew weak, his body collapsed onto the hard floor as God continued to grasp onto his shaking shoulders, his hands scrabbled weakly against the tile in an attempt to escape the pain, but he couldn't, and neither could Frank.

Even though Frank wasn't actually experiencing the sensations Gerard was suffering through firsthand, watching his husband's torment was Frank's personal version of Hell, and he barely managed to contain himself from launching his small frame at God so he could tear them away from Gerard before Frank went insane.

But as all things must, Frank's vivid nightmare that also happened to be reality ended as well, and with one last painful gasp, Gerard fell still, his skeletal wings now protruding out of his back as God stepped away from his huddled form. The hair hanging over Gerard's face was now a startling red instead of the ebony shade that Frank had become accustomed to, and even though Frank was still on the verge of tears, he found himself smiling at the sight of the Gerard that he had first fallen in love with.

Frank's eyes glanced toward God, asking permission to approach Gerard now that the transformation seemed to be complete, noticing that their own stance was stooped and projecting exhaustion. Brendon seemed to catch on to God's weakness as well, inciting him to finally release Frank before hurrying over to God's side instead, steadying him with his touch before they joined Gerard on the ground.

"Gee," Frank choked out, scrambling over to Gerard's prone body now that he was free to move once more, ignoring everyone else in the room until he had ascertained that Gerard was alright, but his husband didn't answer him, instead, he only shrunk inward on himself, his frame shaking with almost silent sobs as he tucked his knees into his chest feebly. "Baby, it's okay - I've got you," Frank murmured, gently pulling Gerard into his lap and off of the unforgiving floor.

"Frank - I...is it over?" Gerard whimpered softly, a violent tremor wracking his limbs as he did his best to burrow into Frank's chest, his tears quickly soaking Frank's t-shirt as he began stroking Gerard's hair soothingly.

"Yes love, you did it, you are so strong, I'm so proud of you."

"I - I think I'm gonna be sick," Gerard heaved out, giving Frank just enough warning to help Gerard turn to his side before his stomach decided to empty itself of everything it had eaten that day.

Frank hummed a random tune under his breath as Gerard wretched noisily, his heart aching at his husband's miserable state, but Frank should have expected this, he had gone through a similar experience when he had regained his own memories after all, which only made him feel like an idiot for ever letting God talk him into abandoning Gerard throughout this process, but he was with him now, and that was all that mattered.

"Do you need something, water maybe?" Frank asked when Gerard's vomiting had been reduced to nothing but soft dry heaves.

"No...please don't leave me," Gerard begged, stark terror inundating his voice as he dug his fingernails into Frank's forearm with a surprising amount of strength, causing Frank to wince slightly in response.

"I won't love, I'm not going anywhere," Frank promised rapidly, taking note of the way some of the tension left Gerard's muscles as his words sunk in. "So..." Frank asked warily when Gerard remained silent for a prolonged amount of time, "did it work...do you remember your past life now?"

"I - yeah," Gerard nodded slowly, his eyes glazing over as he sunk down into the newly awakened areas of his mind. "I do, even though I sort of wish I didn't have to experience dying again...doing that in reverse is not a fun way to spend your afternoon," Gerard laughed roughly, the fact that he was injecting humor into their conversation soothing some of Frank's worries for the time being.