Chapter 5

Benedict: I really enjoyed talking to you tonight. Can I see you again tomorrow?

Benedict: Also hope you and your friends got back to your rooms safely.

Cassie: I really enjoyed tonight as well! I think we have plans to go jet skiing tomorrow, but I'll be free around dinner?

Cassie: We got back without incident. Thank you!

Benedict: Dinner. It's a date. Can't wait.

These are the series of texts she couldn't stop staring it. Even though they were fresh and short, she couldn't help the feeling of butterflies in her stomach. She hated it. This is exactly how she felt with Dylan. It was too strong of feelings too soon into the relationship. To be fair, he led her to believe he felt the same before absolutely crushing her heart.

She couldn't go through that again.

Putting her phone away, she decided to not let her feelings get the best of her. She was determined to make this nothing more than a summer fling.

Katie and Mads had no idea she was with someone last night. Only Breck and Casey knew, but she's pretty sure Breck already forgot. Casey wouldn't stop staring at her so she knew he remembered.

When they got down to the beach, the resort had already gotten their jet skis out and ready to go. They each had one of their own, but Casey was insisting Cassie ride with him. She told him she might later, but wanted to try it for herself.

She ended up having a blast! She didn't want to get on Casey's for the sole reason she didn't want to get off of her own! She was the speedster with Breck, while Katie, Mads and Casey struggled. They only had them for a few hours, which went by too quickly for her liking.

After they parked the jet skis back on the beach, Casey acted like he wanted to throw a tantrum. Katie and Mads were giggling about it while Cassie felt kind of bad.

"Aw, he didn't get to spend time with his girlfriend," Mads quietly teased.

"More like he couldn't show off to his girlfriend," Katie teased back. "I think we went faster than he did!" They giggled furiously.

Cassie didn't partake in the giggles, but rather excused herself and jogged up to Casey. "Case, hey," she said as she put her arm on his.

He turned and his eyes softened upon seeing her. "What's up, Cass?"

She gestured to a little nook off to the side and asked, "Can we talk?" He nodded and followed her until they were isolated. "Look, Case—mmph." He immediately started kissing her, but she gently pushed him away. "Not quite what I had in mind."

"I'm sorry," he told her. "I can't stop thinking about you. God, you are so hot in this bathing suit." He went to grab her hips, but she quickly stopped him.

"Casey, I'm serious. We need to talk." He retreated his hands and put them to his side. He stopped talking and waited for her to say what she needed to say. "Good. Look, I'm sorry if I've given you the impression I want a relationship, but I thought I made it clear I didn't. We had sex, Case, that doesn't make us a couple."

He nodded, seeming a little embarrassed. "I know that, Cass. I told you how I felt."

She retorted, "And I told you how I felt. You said you were okay with it. If you weren't, why'd you..." it suddenly clicked in her head "...you were never actually okay with it, were you? You said that just to have sex again."

He looked anywhere but at her, making her scoff. "What do you want me to say?" He asked. "Fuck, I really like you!"

"If you really did, you would respect my boundaries, Casey! Christ, I should have never started this. I'm sorry, Case, I really am. This is over. No more." She went to be the first one to walk away, but he caught her by surprise and stormed off.

She let out a frustrated, but quiet scream as she jumped around a bit. She is constantly reminded of why she isn't ready for a relationship yet!

"You alright?" But then there's this guy who makes her question it. She turned towards Benedict, a fake smile on her face and her shoulders still tense.

"Fine," she squeaked out. "Are you following me?"

He laughed a little as he said, "Not quite. I was taking a walk and saw you having a bit of a moment. I would've let you be, but I just wanted to be sure. You're sure you're alright?" He glanced over to where Casey was just walking into the resort.

"Fine, really," she insisted. "He's just...it's complicated."

He nodded and stepped a little closer to her. "So complicated that you shouldn't go out with me tonight?"

She knew what he was implying and she was honestly glad he wanted to make sure she was single. Not many men cared about that nowadays. Well, none of them in her age group, at least. "No," she assured, "not that complicated. I'm single, I promise."

He smiled softly as he told her, "As am I. Promise. See you at dinner?"

She noted that he hadn't looked down at her revealing two piece once this entire conversation. She cursed herself for noticing because the butterflies came back! "I'll see you then."

They smiled at each other as he turned around to continue his walk.

As quickly as she could, she ran into her room to get ready. She showered, put on her second best dress (the first is more for the party scene) and threw on some make-up. Katie watched her curiously from the bed as she ran around frantically and muttering things like "no", "not this", "doesn't match", "fuck!".

"Do you have an engagement I am not aware of?" She asked.

Cassie stopped in her tracks and turned to her. "Yes..." She drew out with a nervous smile.

She got roped into telling Katie everything about last night, and then again today. Katie was furious at Casey for pressuring her like that, but relieved she found someone else. She wasn't blind to the fact Cassie lit up like the sun when talking about Benedict.

"But I won't get my hopes up," Cassie declared. "Besides, he lives in England and we're in Los Angeles. There isn't a damn thing that can come from this. That means I would also have to tell him I'm actually a student and not a freelance writer. That would be embarrassing!"