Chapter 16

"What are you doing?" Cassie harshly whispered after Katie sat down. The person next to her was one of the ones in the wrong class. Katie didn't waste a single chance to come sit next to Cassie.

"Making sure you're okay," she harshly whispered back.

A throat was cleared in the front of the class. They both looked at Ben. "If you ladies are quite done disrupting my class," he unevenly called. "Where was I? Uh, right..." He continued speaking about the syllabus and avoided at all costs to look anywhere near her.

This was pissing her off. Forget the fact she lied to him about being a college student, forget the wonderful three days they had. She was pissed beyond words that this man would have the audacity to leave her like he did and not even be able look at her.

It was the longest hour and forty-five minutes of their lives. Ben spoke like their wasn't any problem, but oh he knew there was. Not only did he realize Cassie lied to him about being out of college, but now she's his student!

He hasn't been able to get her out of his head for months. The way he just left her sleeping in his bed pained him every waking moment. He didn't attempt to contact her because she never contacted him. He expected a text or phone call, but then realized he seriously fucked up when she didn't.

So many times he wanted to talk to her. It took him everything not to. Every night, as he lay in bed, his thumb hovered over her name. She invaded every sense he had. He dreamt about her when he was asleep and thought about her when he was awake.

His guardian angel.

"That's all I have for today," he said, getting a little flushed by the end. "Your homework is to write a one page essay about yourselves. It can be anything about you, but I do mean one page, no more and no less. Have a good rest of your day."

Everyone started packing up and shuffling out of the room.

Katie ignored her stuff and turned to Cassie. "What are you going to do?" She asked.

Cassie didn't answer, just stared as Ben organized some papers on his desk, his back turned to her. "I'm gonna rip a new one into that motherfucker," she declared. She stood up without her bag and walked calmly down the steps. There were still people in the room and she didn't need anyone witnessing her anger.

A few girls were talking to Ben up at the front. Cassie could tell they were being flirty, which turned her stomach even more. He was keeping his distance however and being very cautious of his surroundings.

As he answered one of their questions, his eyes looked up and immediately locked with her's. He narrowed his eyes a bit, then put his attention back on the girl. They all thanked him too sweetly, then left the room.

The only people left now were him, Cassie and Katie.

Cassie opened her mouth to say something, but from behind her Katie said, "Oh it's on motherfucker!" She started storming down the stairs, but Cassie quickly grabbed onto her arm to stop her.

"Kate, I love you, but let me do this," she told her. Katie listened, but kept her sharp glares on Ben.

Cassie turned to him and slowly walked down the stairs and up to him. He looked down at her like she was a lesser being than him. It was odd compared to how he looked at her just three months prior.

"In my office," he darkly ordered. "Now." He went up to the door and opened it for her. He waited until she went in as he continued his stare down with Katie. Once Cassie stepped inside, he took a stride in and shut the door.

The moment he turned around, he was greeted with a slap across the face. "You fucking asshole!" She shouted. "First you just leave me like those three days meant nothing, then you show up at my fucking school?!"

She hit his chest, but he didn't stop her. She hit it again, and then again and again. "You," hit, "fucking," hit, "asshole!" Eventually, he caught her arms and pinned her up against the wall. He moved until he was looking face to face with her.

"You told me you graduated college and were living as a freelance writer in New York," he practically growled. "How in the fuck was I supposed to know you'd end up being one of my students!"

"You just left!" She shouted, tears in her eyes now. "I woke up, I turned over to see you and you weren't there! You told me I wasn't going to be a one night stand!"

"You weren't!" He scoffed, his grip getting tighter on her arms. "Really, after all of those things I said to you? After all that we did?"

She kneed him in the stomach, causing him to grunt and let her go. "You left a note! A fucking note! You didn't call, didn't text..."

"Neither did you," he retorted. "I waited for...fuck, something!"

She scoffed and took a step towards him, making him take half a step back. Her tears fell down her cheeks as she softly said, "A note."

Ben's face softened as he got a good look at her hurt expression. This is the exact one that's haunted his nightmares. He never got to see how she reacted to his note. He had hoped it would be with positivity, but he knew deep down...it was this.

"Cassie," he breathed out. "I know. I know and I am so sorry." He had tears in his eyes now, the more he thought about the moment he wrote that stupid note. He sat at the dining table and stared at her as she slept. He wanted nothing but to curl back up with her and extend his trip just to be with her.

He wanted so badly to tell her how he really felt.

"Darling," he softly said as he reached to her, but she slapped his hands away.

"Fuck you," she cried. "I won't be in this class starting next week anyways. Just stay the fuck away if you see me on campus."

With that, she stormed out of his office.