Chapter 44

The week after graduation was the most relaxed Cassie has felt since she went into grad school. She woke up when she wanted, went where she wanted and all without the stress of worrying if homework was due.

She's been applying for jobs of course, but hadn't heard back from any of them yet. Ben told her that a full-time career job after college doesn't come as easily as a temporary part-time does. Still, she was getting rather impatient.

Once the three week mark hit, she was getting restless. She didn't know what to do! She hated not working, not doing anything. It was nice to lounge around, but she wanted to do something.

Thankfully, she had a distraction coming up and that was her and Ben's trip to London. She was nervous as all hell to meet his parents, but he assured her they were already accepting of their relationship.

What he didn't know is that she overheard another one of his conversations with them where he was pleading with them to understand the circumstances. Cassie didn't tell him, didn't talk to him about it. She felt like she was creating enough conflict between them already.

Two weeks before they were set to leave, however, is when shit really hit the fan.

"No. No, no, no, no, no!" She looked at one, and then other, and then another and another until she ran out of ones to look at. She backed up to the wall and slid down to the floor. She was in her kitchen, alone, dreading every decision she made up until this point.

She did the only thing she could think of and that was call Katie. Her friend was over in a matter of minutes.

"You know, Ben would kill you if he found out you keep your door unlocked," her voice rang as she came in. She walked into the kitchen to see Cassie sitting on the floor.

"I think he's going to kill me for a whole other reason," she mumbled.

She glanced up at the countertop and Katie slowly made her way towards it. Her eyes widened the moment she saw seven positive pregnancy tests.

"Holy shit," she breathed out. "Okay. Okay. Um...let's not panic. First thing's first...do you want it?"

Cassie immediately shook her head. "No! It's too soon! I don't have a job, I'm not even married! This was not a part of the plan once I graduated!"

"Well, sometimes you don't get a say in these things, babe," Katie gently told her. "I hate to ask, but I'm going to...you forgot to take your pills again, didn't you?"

Cassie's hands flew up to her face as she stifled a cry. This was all Katie needed for an answer. "I hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you to get an IUD."

The look she got once Cassie threw her hands down made her suck in her lips.

"I can't go through with it," Cassie sighed. "He doesn't even want kids! He's admitted to thinking about it but told me just a few months ago that he decided he didn't! I do want them, of course I do, but not now! I thought I might have a little more time to persuade him!"

Katie sat in front of Cassie with one of the pregnancy sticks in her hand. "Well, he'll have no choice but to be persuaded now. How are you going to tell him?"

Cassie thought for a moment. "Who says I have to tell him? What if I just quietly get an abortion?"

Katie nodded slowly, but looked like she didn't approve. "Do you want my advice?" Cassie nodded. "I think you should tell him. I also think you should tell him about your decision. There is no "quietly" having an abortion, Cass. It takes days, sometimes weeks to recover. You won't be able to hide it from him. And if you did do it without him, he might just be even more furious."

Cassie threw her head down onto her knees and let out a long breath. "I need time to think," her muffled voice said. "He's supposed to come over tonight, but I don't want him to. I don't know what I'll say if I see him."

"So text him and say I...had a bad date or something and you need to be there to comfort me. Come over to mine so he won't feel inclined to come over anyways. You can stay for a few days, a week...however long you want."

Cassie ended up calling Ben to lie about Katie's non-existent date. He didn't quite understand why he couldn't come over anyways and she couldn't give him an explanation. She knew this fueled his curiosity, but hung up before he could ask more questions.

He was texting her throughout the day, asking how Katie was doing. When she didn't answer, he tried calling. When she didn't pick up, he asked if everything was okay with her. Again, she neglected to answer.

That night at Katie's turned into two nights, then three, then nearly a week and a half. Ben had gotten so worried, he called Katie. She told him a few white lies about how Cassie only meant to stay a night, but then came down with something and Katie insisted she stay.

This did not go over well with him.

"She's sick and you're just telling me!?" He shouted over the phone.

"She's not sick," Katie tried to explain, "she's just going through some shit. Look, Ben, sometimes when you're going through issues, you go to your best friend. She's been down and anxious and worried and she needed me not you this time. Just respect her boundaries!"

He reluctantly did as he was told and let her work out what she needed to. Unfortunately, when it got to be two days before they were leaving for London, he got impatient.

"Open the damn door!" His voice called as he knocked furiously on Katie's door.

Katie swung it open with a look so appalled, she was wondering where he had gotten the audacity.

"Where is she?" He calmly asked.

Katie folded her arms, not willing to let up.

"Did I do something?" He asked, his anger and annoyance getting the best of him. "Did I say or do anything that made her so pissed off she had to hide from me for nearly two weeks?"

He still didn't get an answer, but saw her face soften. She knew something he didn't and he was going to find out.

"Katie, please," he begged, "I am worried sick. The last time I heard from her, she was comforting you after a bad date. I'm assuming now that was a lie? It certainly wouldn't take this long for you to get over something as small as that. What is happening?"