Chapter 24

This might not be how she had planned to look, but she was in a hurry.

She got back to her apartment to relax and ended up falling asleep. She slept an hour past the time he had told her to get to his office. She was in sweat pants and a shirt, but she didn't think about it before dashing out the door.

She did manage to snag a sweatshirt on the way out and threw it on as she ran across campus. When she bursted into the lecture hall, she could see Ben at his desk. He was hunched over some papers, his glasses on, sweat gleaming on his forehead, and a frustrated look on his face.

He looked up at her with anger in his eyes.

"I am so sorry," she said as she rushed down the steps. "I swear, I only went to relax, but I fell asleep." She set her things down at her desk and went over to take any extra papers he had. He didn't have any.

He let out a sigh and let his pen drop from his hand. He wiped at his forehead as he took off his glasses and leaned back into his chair. "I understand you're going through something, Cassie, but when you take on being a T.A - quite willingly, I might add - you are expected to do the work or inform me otherwise. If you wouldn't have been able to make it, I would have understood and excused you. To commit and be late is not something I take lightly, however."

The disappointment in his face was almost unbearable. She felt like cowering into a corner and crying. He could spot it immediately.

"How was your meeting with the Dean of Students?" He asked, letting it go for now.

Her scoff, however, made him think that wasn't such a bright idea. "Oh, you mean the woman who has single handedly let the men of this school off the hook for assault? The one who was insistent on the fact that poor little Casey with his dumb man-brain couldn't comprehend boundaries? Yeah, it went great. Thanks again, by the way."

She was oozing with sarcasm and ungratefulness. It was something he just didn't understand.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. "Why would she do that, insist on that?"

Cassie shrugged. "I couldn't tell you and I'm the one that has to fucking go through with it."

She sat herself down in her chair with a huff. Her sweater bunched up underneath her, showing the shirt she was wearing.

Ben had to do a double take. "Is that my shirt?" It was more of him asking himself. He was in disbelief that she still had it.

She quickly pulled down the sweater to cover the white button up. Letting it go for the moment, he told her, "I am sorry they aren't taking this more seriously. I'll speak with them tomorrow and—."

"You don't get it," she sighed.

He huffed out a frustrated breath. "So help me to," he calmly said.

She looked at him suspiciously, but then turned her chair towards him. "Fine," she said. "This isn't Oxford, Mr. Cumberbatch. This isn't even a freaking Ivy League school. It's a good school, sure, but it isn't what you're used to. I knew you knew how to act around vulnerable women because you proved it in Mexico. You got down to my height instead of towering over me when we first met. You took extra steps to assure me you hadn't spiked my drink. That's great and I appreciate that, I do. Unfortunately, you are here now and not everyone can be as aware as you, including the assholes that run this place. I have had friends sexually assaulted and abused on campus. Do you know what happened? Nothing. Those guys didn't even get slapped on the wrist, they got an apology. You know what my friends got? A ruined career and tarnished reputation. Are you getting the bigger picture here, sir?"

Ben was fiddling his fingers in anger, but more at the school than anything. "I didn't know," he softly told her. "I am sorry. You do know that I had to?"

She let out a big sigh, but nodded. "Yeah," she said, "I know. And look, I...I didn't thank you for being there for me. Katie filled me in with what happened after I got hit. I'm grateful you were there."

This was the first time she showed emotions that weren't hostile and it pleased him. He gave her a small smile and said, "Just out of my own curiosity...what did she tell you?" He didn't expect Katie to keep his secret of bringing her home safely. He was actually starting to think he didn't want her to.

"Just that you happened to be staying late and you walked by and saw it happen. She said you stayed with me until she and Breck came out and that she took it from there. Why?" His face fell a little.

He quickly shook his head at her. "No reason," he told her, "just wanted to make sure she gave you my side of the story correctly. Of course you are welcome...and I want you to know that I would never hesitate to help you should you ever need it."

She huffed out a laugh, but he continued, "I'm serious, Cass. I don't care what it is. If you need a ride, an escort home, hell I'd even settle for help on some of your assignments." That got a genuine laugh from her and it made him smile.

"Thank you, Ben," she told him. He smiled as he gave her a small nod. Once she tore her faze away, she picked up her bag and slung it over her shoulder. "I'm sorry again about tonight. It won't happen again."

He nodded as he told her, "I know it won't. Get some sleep, I'll see you tomorrow." He watched as she walked up the steps of the lecture hall and left through the doors. He did get a look back before she completely disappeared and it made his heart warm up.