Chapter 46

It was Cassie's turn to pace the room now. Ben's eyes followed her with worry as he sat on the edge of the bed and watched her. He thinks she isn't aware she's doing it. Nevertheless, he stayed quiet and let her figure out her thoughts.

She eventually stopped in front of him and looked down into his eyes. "I need to tell you something and based off of the discussion we just had...you're going to be angry."

His eyes slightly narrowed at her. He watched as she took her bottom lip between her teeth and bit down. Her hands were wringing, she was swaying and her toes wiggled in the carpet. He knew.

"No," he said before she could say it.

She looked at him oddly. "I...I didn't even say anything."

He stood up and towered over her. "You didn't need to. You're pregnant, aren't you?"

She opened her mouth and her words caught in her throat. The way he was looking at her was making her very nervous.

He closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. "Fuck," he breathed out. "Fuck, fuck...fuck!" He slapped his hands onto his forehead and walked to the other side of the room.

He looked like he needed a moment so Cassie sat herself on the bed and hugged her knees to her chest.

Ben stood still for a few moments, then turned to face her. "How on Earth could you be so irresponsible, Cass? How!?" His voice had raised to the point he was yelling and it made her jump and it made her angry.

"I'm getting rid of it, okay!?" She yelled back through tears. "I didn't want to even tell you, but Katie has morals and convinced me to tell you before I did anything!"

He let out a scoff. "Yeah, you told me alright. You told me after nearly two weeks! And what do you mean you're getting rid of it? The hell you are!"

She gave him a double take. "Excuse you? It's my fucking body!"

"And that is my fucking child!"

"You don't even want it! You said yourself, you would be angry and you are angry! So just let me get rid of it so you won't be for the rest of your life!"

He dragged his hands down his face with a long groan. "I am beyond angry. There's probably fucking steam coming out of my ears! But if you get rid of that baby, you will spend the rest of your life resenting me for it!"

She stood up quickly and charged over to him. "And you will resent me for having it because then you'll feel like you have to be stuck with us for the rest of your life!"

"So you do want it," he stated matter of factly. "You think getting an abortion would make me happy? How were you planning on hiding it from me anyways? We wouldn't be able to have sex for weeks so what would your excuse have been?"

"I bet if I told you I got pregnant and aborted it, you would say 'thank bloody christ!'" Her terrible mimic of his posh accent didn't amuse him.

"I would ask why you didn't discuss it with me first," he defended.

"But you wouldn't have been opposed to it!"

He kept his lips in a tight line and breathed deeply through his nose. "That is because it would have already been done so it wouldn't have mattered. Now that you're telling me before the fact, I don't want you to get one."

Cassie was at a loss. She couldn't read him, couldn't tell what it was he really wanted! "I...I truly don't know what to say, Ben." She sounded disappointed and he caught it.

"Well I do. Get your things, we're leaving. Now."

Katie had heard the yelling, but hoped things had been resolved when it quieted down. She wasn't sure what to think when she saw both of them coming down and looking absolutely furious with one another.

"Thanks for everything, Katie. I'll call you later."

The two friends hugged tightly. When they pulled back, Katie sternly told her, "You better." She glanced over to Ben and gave him a look that was meant to be a warning.

"Come on," he grumbled as he took Cassie's arm and pulled her along.

The drive back to her apartment was long and awkward. There wasn't any sound except the sound of the car and Cassie's sniffles every once in a while. Ben got out of the car as soon as he put it in park and took the keys from the ignition.

Cassie got out a little slower and grabbed her things. Ben waited for her by the apartment building door. She had a funny feeling that he would have stormed inside if he had a key.

She let them in, then climbed the stairs to her door. Once she unlocked it and stepped inside, she could feel Ben hadn't moved behind her. She turned to see him still out in the hall. "What, are you going to leave now?" She asked with snark in her tone.

"I told you I wouldn't leave you and I bloody well meant it," he growled back. "I do need some time to myself, however, so I am going to get a drink down the street. Give me your key. I don't know how late I'll be and I'll need to let myself in."

She folded her arms. "What makes you think I want you to come back?"

He rolled his eyes at her. "Fine, I'll just go home then. You'd better be packed and ready no later than five a.m on Tuesday, do you understand me?"

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes. "Yes, dad," she spat.

He shook his head and closed her door shut as he muttered, "Unfortunately."

She didn't know what made her jump more; the door slamming shut or his comment. Nevertheless, she was glad he was gone. She wished she could cancel London, break it off with Ben and go to a club to drink her sorrows away.

She almost wishes she told him right away because she had all this time to think. She thought about her baby, thought about how she really did yearn to be a mom. Ben was right, it would have nearly killed her inside if she aborted it. It might of killed her just enough to actually resent him like he said.

If this were anyone else, she wouldn't hesitate. It would have been gone the moment she found out. With Ben, though, she loved him. She wanted a family with him. Despite how he's acting now, she knows he'll make the most wonderful father. As much as she didn't want to say it to him outright...she did decide she wanted it.