Chapter 5 - The Ball

"Presenting Lady Clarisse Lorraine, daughter of the most honorable Viscount Arthur Lorraine!" the herald announced at last.

Their heads seemed to me like blocks of dominos as I entered the vast circular ballroom. I let the women's curious glances scan me behind feathered fans. I let the men ogle me like a feast laid upon a table. I knew those looks, but they did not affect me then and they would not affect me now.

I smiled at them. A smile that did not show any malice nor affection. Just the right one. Their eyes widened with surprise. I saw some of the girls and boys blush.

I held my chin higher. Tonight, I would meet them—my killers. It took me a moment to identify the rush of thrill inside me, the drumbeat within my chest. It was excitement.

News of their prince having found his fiancée should have spread by now. But this party was their opportunity to make the engagement official.

I made my way in between crowds. They parted, as though I were a stubborn rock on a stream. The nobles kept their attention fixated on me, so much that I could feel their burning gazes at the back of my head. I did not mind.

Even with the serene hum of instruments in the background, I could clearly hear their whispers.

"Look at her—she walks with much pride. That is a girl who knows her worth. As expected, Lady Ruth has made a fine choice."

"There were rumors that the Viscount's daughter did not like going out because she is ugly. Now I know not to trust petty gossip."

"She looks nothing like the daughter of an almost ruined household."

"Do you see her posture? Her pretty face? How her fingers are gathered neatly at the right spot below her stomach? She is the epitome of elegance!"

I was tempted to bark out a laugh. Behind this pretty face resides the monster all of you had feared two years ago, whose mere presence could cause you to cower. Athelina, the tyrant Empress.

I had wondered why I was frightened to know that I'd come back here. Pretending to be a delicate Lady before my enemies did not sound so bad. As a matter of fact, I was quite enjoying it.

"Ah! There she is!"

I flinched a little at the voice. I had been so occupied with my thoughts that I hadn't noticed they were near, standing below a spiraling staircase at the farthest side of the ballroom.

The person who had spoken was Kazriel, the eldest of us four. The moment my eyes landed on him, my suspicions about whether he was Ethan's conspirator increased. The anger in me flared up into a giant flame. I inhaled deeply to fan it out. Now was not the time to give in to rage.

'I had always known you were ambitious, Kazriel. I just did not expect you to have enough spine to have me killed.' I thought secretly.

Beside him was Elian and Lady Ruth. And of course, his scum of a Grand General—Ethan. He still hadn't removed that pathetic-looking beard of his.

I stepped one foot backward, bent my knee and lifted the sides of my skirt a tad bit. "I bow before the glorious sun of the empire. Emperor Kazriel, it is an honor to stand in your presence."

You shit.

He laughed. "Rise, Lady Clarisse. Lady Ruth here says you are filled with grace and beauty. I'm glad to discover that it is true indeed. Now I fear I might steal you away from my dear brother."

"You can have her—oomf."

Lady Ruth elbowed her son in the ribs.

My siblings were idiots. There were two here, where was the other one? The sister who's at least an inch smarter than these two.