Chapter 61 - Bow to Him

Too quick. Derek disappeared from my line of sight in a heartbeat, my eyes failing to see how. A shadow dove in from nowhere, moving hawk-fast. He was scooped up from the ground by something.

I cocked my head, hoping to locate it. My stomach churned. Derek was flailing a few meters below the high ceiling. No, what snatched him from me was not "something". Someone. Two people. Golden scraps of glittering silk wrapping dark skin, inky tattoos on their bodies. The Children of Sol. And they had wings. Wings made of fire, flaring and blazing upon every flap.

I gritted my teeth, rage roiling in me. I should have known. So they weren't mere fire dancers that were here to perform in the Spring Gala. How many tricks did Rass have hidden beneath his sleeve? Of course, he had also commissioned mages for him to exploit. This sharp bastard, always thinking ahead.

Derek continued to writhe and thrash against his captors' grasp, they staggered midair but held firm. He accidentally released his sword and it plunged to the ground, twinkling like a falling star. They were taking him farther, farther—I had to save him.

I made a move to follow. Then my feet remained glued onto the marble floor. I turned.

Elian was cradled in Theon's arms. The knight was constantly patting his cheeks to will him back to consciousness. My mind reeled, everything was spinning.

I turned to where I'd last seen Derek. He was gone. But they couldn't have taken him far. Elian. My brother, he had to be tended to. But Derek, what unspeakable things might Rass do to him?

My focus was cleaved in two, one side of my brain reaching out to Derek, the other begging me to remain here for my brother.

"Gods," Theon groaned, stammering prayers in Northern language. "He's lost a lot of blood."

I twisted to Elian, panic bubbling in my sandpaper-dry throat. His eyelids fluttered open as he coughed out blood. He gurgled and spat more of it.

I knelt beside him, feeling wretched. I shouldn't have relented to his request. I shouldn't have brought him here. Had I honestly believed that I could keep him safe?

Elian cringed as he saw the blade jutting out of his stomach. "Holy shit, that's nasty. Ah, I must have been hit in the head."

Theon expelled a shuddering breath, pale as a sheet of paper. "Don't waste your energy by talking nonsense."

Elian faced me, golden brows knotted. "Why are you here? Shouldn't you be well away kicking Rassvyn's bums by now?"

"I can't." I choked, lungs burning. "I will not leave you here. I... I'm afraid that when I come back—"

"You'd see me bite the dust." Elian snorted. Because of that, he spewed blood. Theon scolded him. "I won't die. I promise."

I shook my head. "I have no clue what your promises mean to you."

"Wouldn't you want to go and find out?" Elian's breathing was ragged, the light flickering on and off from his green eyes. He grabbed my wrist, gave it a squeeze. "Please, sister, I beg of you. Don't waste your time on me."

Theon nodded at me, offering me a reassuring smile. At least, he tried to make it seem like a smile. "Go on, Empress. On my oath, I will protect him."

I inhaled, steadying myself. I clamped my eyes shut and finally got to my feet.

"All right." I turned for the stairs. "Find him a healer."

They'd make it in time. They had to.

I climbed the staircase, remembering the path those flying magicians vanished to.