Chapter 14 - Like a Fish Caught in a Trap

Derek tilted his head to the side ever so slightly, not even batting an eye as the rock swished an inch past his cheek. It merely disturbed a strand of his dark hair.

He dug his arms into his pocket looking impressed. "Nice aim."

Even with the chilling temperature of the lake, heat crawled up my neck, surging to my cheeks and ears.

I jabbed an accusatory finger at him, water dripping from my skin. "You insolent bastard! You dare peek at me while I bathe?"

Derek's brows jumped at my curses for a moment, his surprise replaced by amusement. "Your threats don't sound so convincing in that state you are in, Clary. Besides, you can hardly call it peeking when the person concerned is out in the open."

I gritted my teeth, red-hot steaming anger uncoiling from me. Anger...or was it shame of being seen with not even a scrap of fabric on my body? Though it wasn't like I was conscious or anything.

It didn't matter.

"What state are you talking about?"

He touched his chin as he regarded me, his eyes glued on my own. I felt another hotness wash over my face. I could have sworn sweat was starting to bead on my brows.

"Your naked state," he said directly. "You look like you're in deep water, Clary. Well, literally."

Derek chuckled. Right now, he was already beyond being amused. He was having fun.

"Two jokes," I snarled. "I will cut two of your arms for those two gods-awful jokes."

One edge of his mouth curled. "I've told you, Clary. Your threats are barely effective in your current...situation. What I am seeing is a fuming little river nymph who is not doing a very good job with her attempts to scare off a human far bigger than her."

His tone was downright teasing. He was toying with me. It irked me to the bones.

I realized the moment he marched in that I'd found myself in a difficult position. Like a fish caught in a trap. A trap of its own making.

I made sure my defiance delivered. "Oh I assure you, Your Grace. You will regret this scandalous behavior you've shown me once I am out and clothed."

He folded his arms and scoffed. "What scandalous behavior? I am innocent. I merely happened to come to this place to let my horse drink. She is parched after a hunt."

"Really now? Where is this horse you are speaking of?"

"I tied her to a tree once I saw that someone had occupied the lake before us. I figured waiting for you to finish but you already saw me. You've made your assumptions and I lost the chance to explain myself first."

"Lies," I snapped. "You did not come out when I told you to."

His shoulders slumped as he released a breath. "You'll have to forgive me for that. I did not know what to do. It is not always a bare woman calls for you—"

He ducked, a pebble grazing the top of his raven-black locks.

I was still shuddering from the rage, my hand floating in the air mid-throw.

He threw out his palms as he straightened. "I apologize, that was out of line."

"You have been out of line eternities ago!"

He cleared his throat, regaining composure. Derek smiled. "The point is, Clary, I was not peeking. I was not looking at all."

My brows scrunched.

His gaze lowered. "Not when there's nothing to be seen."

I screamed. It was more like a feral growl. One hand over my chest, the other fumbling for rocks. Weeds. Anything to throw at him.