Chapter 13 - The Lake in the Forest

I came out of the bathing chamber and strutted into my bedroom, stumbling upon Anya placing tulips on a small round table by the window. The curtains were pulled aside, the yellow petals catching the light from outside.

Anya spoke without removing her attention from her work. "Princess Cynthia came by. She said to give you these flowers."

The edges of my lips tugged up. "They are lovely."

"The princess appears to have taken a liking to you, my lady."

"Mmm, indeed it appears so."

A tray was laid out on the bed, its contents steaming hot. I sat and took a sip of the cream soup. Then I bit off a piece of the cherry croissant, my legs dangling beneath the mattress like a child's.

Anya whirled to face me. "Are you not happy that you have gained her favor? Most of the people in Solaria's court can only hope Princess Cynthia glances their way."

I lifted an indifferent shoulder. "I do not get what the fuss is about. We were there by coincidence when she needed help. I had only done the right thing to do at that moment. And now she wants to be friends so badly. How many times has she sent flowers to my room?"

"I have lost count," Anya said. "Do you not want to be friends with her?"

"I am okay with it."

"You prefer to spend your time with the other ladies."

It was a statement, though it sounded fairly like a question.

"For now, I am not in the position to prefer anyone." I stood up and twirled, my robe swirling away from me. "I shall roam these halls like a ghost while waiting for Elian to come around."

The last part was a lie. Until now, I was never sure what would happen next once the wedding gets cancelled. I couldn't exactly leave this place that easily. But if that would happen—assuming, it would—well, I could always return to the Viscount's manor. Live the rest of my life there in peace, far from the vicinity of my killers. I wouldn't care if it meant living with insufferable parents. They were the least of my problems.

For now, I'd have to play my part in this ruse.

"I adore your patience, Lady." Anya sighed as she picked up my discarded robe. "The way you stripped was filled with much elegance. Dramatic, I might say."

"Oh stop being so sarcastic."

"Where and how would you like to waste your day, your most graciousness?" she asked flatly as she skimmed my wardrobe.

"At the stables," I answered. "Pick a dress and make up your mind, will you? I am standing exposed in my lingerie."

It seemed as though she only heard the first words I'd said. Anya dropped the clothing she was holding and turned to me abruptly. Her mouth fell.

"At the what now?"

"I would like to see the palace horses," I said firmly. "Lady Catherine says they are magnificent creatures and are unlike any other. She told me the war horses are still there also. I want to see them."

She must have noticed the resolve in my voice since she didn't press any further.

She collected the fallen garment and said, "Very well. I'll take you there."

***

His beady eyes were jet-black, like shiny ink spilled on a surface. His ebony mane hung like tinted waterfalls over his majestic body. A gruesome red line traced across his eye. Other than that, he was still handsome.