Chapter 20 - A Bunny Pretending to be Prey

Coaxing Elian into setting up an audience with Kazriel was the easiest part yet. I had told him half-hearted excuses and without a second thought, he darted off to inform his brother.

The tricky part, however, was waiting to see whether Ethan would let me meet the Emperor. He'd made Kazriel as Solaria's figurehead, a puppet whom he controlled in the shadows. He gets Kazriel to do his selfish biddings, completely ignoring the state of the empire.

That much was obvious but recently the topic had been included over hushed whispers in the court ladies' tea parties. It seemed as though they were becoming displeased. As they should.

For Kazriel, though, I was sure that he'd say yes to Elian. It had always been that way since we were kids. We gave Elian whatever he asked for and the word "no" had almost seemed nonexistent for him. Perhaps spoiling him had something to do with how he was acting now. So carefree and unruled by no one else but himself despite his mother's frets.

Three days had passed and not a word came from Kazriel. And Derek, for that matter. Meanwhile, Elian had long gone to wherever the gods knew he was going. Anxiety clawed at my stomach with each day wasted.

"Why are you fidgeting so much?" Anya asked me as she lay on my bed, facing me with her elbow propped on a pillow.

I sat on my favorite spot by the window, fumbling on the pages of a book I wasn't sure I understood. My presence of mind had taken the day off.

"I am not fidgeting," I lied, joining my hands together atop the table to prevent them from giving me out.

"Hmm, you clearly are," she said. "You have been on edge since the day you went to the Duke."

I cringed. She was too sharp for her own good.

"You're right. The wait is making me nervous." I said with a sigh.

"Everything is going to be alright, my lady." Anya hoisted herself upright. "The Duke of the East has his ways. You must simply put your trust in him."

"Knowing that does not lessen my uneasiness."

Anya hopped off my bed, loosening an exhale. "Should I get some jasmine tea? To calm your nerves."

I offered her an appreciative look. "Yes, please. That would really help. Thank you."

Anya knew about my meeting with Derek. Wanting that academy to come to life was reasonable a request for the real Clarisse Lorraine. But asking to meet Kazriel for political reasons was out of line and odd. It would surely raise her doubts.

Anya bowed. The act exposed a red mark that ran from the nook where her shoulder and neck met down to her collarbone.

I shot to my feet. "Wait."

Anya did as she was told. "Is there something you'd like aside from tea?"

"Yes. I want you to answer my question." I said as I stopped into place before her.

Anya twitched. "S-sure, what is it?"

She still maintained an impassive image.

I reached for the collar of her uniform and undid the button. It was done before she could even grab my hand.

Shock hit her like a sudden wave. Three bruised lines of bluish-red marred her skin.

"Who did this to you?"

She whipped her head away, biting her lower lip and clasping her collar closed. "No one."

"Do not lie to me," I narrowed my eyes. "I take it you did not do this yourself."