Chapter 47 - A Blazing Spectacle

A wave of horrified gasps rang through the ballroom at the sudden vanishing of the lights. After only three seconds, a sole chandelier at the center flicked to life. It illuminated the dancefloor, which was not occupied by nobles anymore but by people who wore scraps of glittering silks that opposed the conservative nature of the Spring Gala's dress code. Their bare skin was etched by a combination of black swirls and whorls and sharp, jagged lines. One particular detail that stood out, though, was that all of them had flames painted atop their brows.

Derek and I inched closer behind the circle of gathering nobles to get a better view. They were silent, each awaiting with a thrilled disposition of what these peculiar newcomers would do.

A woman spread her arms, her golden strips stark against her dark skin. "A blessed night to the dwellers of Solaria's high society! Before you are the Children of Sol, bearers of her light. Tonight, we shall present to you a performance unlike anything you've ever seen!"

"Fire dancers," Derek mumbled, spoiling the fun before they could even begin.

Indeed they were, for Sol was the goddess of the sun and here were her devotees. I wondered who thought of this brilliant idea of seeking out such mysterious people. It could only be Elian, he must have met them somewhere along his adventures.

The candles of the chandelier were once again blown out by a phantom wind. This time, the shimmering crystals on the fire dancers' thin clothing were aglow in the dark. They adorned their bodies like stars within a galaxy.

They began with slow drum beats, and as they danced, fire sparked on their palms. They pounced across the dancefloor, lithe and graceful like cats that had caught on fire. Melodies coming from a harp and a flute joined in and their dancing became a mix of terror and beauty. Ladies shrieked as a dancer contorted her limbs, directing them to places no one would have thought they'd be at. Then, as her head peeked out of her leg that had curled to her neck, she breathed fire. No, it was more of a roar and the sound ignited and burned with unwavering certainty.

The people clapped and cheered their fascinations. But it was not over yet. The show continued, the fires they spewed out turned into the shapes of gleaming beasts and flowers. The flames flared to life above our heads, blue and violet, red and yellow. There were dragons, griffins, centaurs and creatures I couldn't name. All the while, not a part of the dancers were scorched, as though they were one with the fire.

Gooseflesh skittered on my arms and a giddy warmth spread within my chest as I watched the spectacle of humans dancing with fire and fire dancing with humans.

My head involuntarily whipped toward Derek and he had done the same. His eyes softened, his lips curving into a smile.

"What is it?"

He shook his head. He leaned in. "Do you see how those flames blaze about?"

"Yes, I do." I said, inhaling as the heat of his breath tickled my cheeks. "They are stunning."

"Mmm, that is what goes on inside me every time your lips touch mine."

My back went rigid, the beat of my pulse competing with the symphony beyond the crowd. Derek pulled away an inch to observe my expression. The burst of flames cast colorful glows at the sides of his face, making me catch my breath.

Derek laughed, his voice hoarse. Then he bent down so that our lips would meet. In a mere second, I thought I was adrift in the air, spinning and diving with the flames.

He straightened. Too quickly, I returned to my body and the lights on the ceiling were lit. A deafening round of bellows and applause rang in my ears as the Children of Sol bowed, concluding their fire display.