Chapter 62 - Epilogue

From my room, I watched the white cloths adorning the courtyard, placed on every marble statue and shrub and fountain. They fluttered against the wind, edges floating like waves. White banners outlined with gold hung from the huge palace gates and walls. Here and there, courtiers strolling outside were wearing the same color. That included me.

The very picture of mourning.

The whole palace and the entire city was mourning for the death of their Emperor. Not the fake one, no. They were grieving for my brother, Kazriel.

Too early. He was gone too early. And all it took was a single swing of Rass' blade. Was it truly that simple? For someone to die within a short period of time? I should know. But for the first time, I didn't know the answer.

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss him.

It wasn't until now that I had realized that I was sincerely happy during our times in the garden, secretly plotting against his own Grand General. I clung to those moments, holding them tight to make sure they wouldn't slip away from my grasp.

I engraved my brother's face in my memory—his awkward smiles, his laughter, his frowns and the creases between his brows whenever he found something unpleasant. But the longer I held on to him, every now and then a younger version of him would come to replace him. The version that I was more accustomed to. The version wherein he was more foolish and childish.

I was slowly forgetting how he looked like.

I wiped the tear rolling down my cheek, sniffing. I walked away from the window and tried not to think of my brother even just for a moment. But regrets were undefeatable ghouls, they haunt and haunt, and you could not do anything about them. So I let Kazriel's blurry face appear and disappear at the back of my mind.

That night, I could have died. Should the poison have lingered for another five minutes, I could have keeled over. Thankfully, Kovu and his acquaintances arrived shortly after I lost consciousness.

Five days had passed since then. And I was in bed for the entire duration of it, inside the same chamber they'd given Clary.

In the afternoon, I sat before the vanity as Anya assisted me with my hair. My hands drifted subconsciously to the drawer where I had once kept the ribbon Derek gave me. I was already in the East when I noticed that I'd lost it. I had not apologized yet.

Anya had given a hair strand one last tug when Elian and Cynthia stormed into the room. I shifted on my bench to face them fully.

"Sis." Elian ceased on his tracks, carrying a piece of parchment in the air. It had the royal seal stamped on it. "What is the meaning of this?"

Cynthia had her hands clasped over her chest, nervous and fidgeting. This was how she had helped me by "doing something else".

I broke out a smile before standing. Anya excused herself.

I dipped into a curtsy. "Your Majesty."

I had told the Grand Duke that I'd bring balance back to Solaria, but I didn't say that I'd be the one to maintain it.

"Don't joke around!" Elian said, reddening. "What about you? Why must it be me? I couldn't possibly—"

"You'll be alright." I strode forward, planted my hands on his shoulders. "You'll be the best emperor Solaria could ever ask for. I am not fit for the role. Plus, I do not yearn for it anymore. I am done. I am tired of it. But you, you have a bright future ahead of you. You will shine more golden than the sun itself. I have seen you grow, my dearest brother. And you will grow further, you will learn. I have faith in you. You will continue what Father, Kazriel and I had begun. It won't be easy, but with the right people you'll do just fine."