Chapter 9 - The Ladies of the Court

Today's hostess was Lady Elizabeth, the young daughter of the Duke of the South. She had chosen to hold her tea party in one of the palace's numerous gazebos. Wreaths of different colored silk dangled at the sides of the roof, billowing gracefully along the spring breeze.

I was settled at the end of the long table while Lady Elizabeth sat across from me, the other ladies to the left and right. Our maids hovered behind us, tending to our every need as usual.

Various piles of confections were laid in porcelain platters in front of us, delectable and flavorful. I took a handful of macaroons and shoved it into my mouth.

'Thank the gods the food in the palace hadn't changed,' I thought secretly.

I heard Anya cough behind me but I ignored her. She had been concerned about my weight as of late.

'Your cheeks will become as large as a squirrel's one day if you do not stop eating like that,' she had warned me once.

I had replied with a grin. 'That may be so, but good food is good food. You should not waste an entire lifetime worrying about gaining a few fats and focus on juicy meat instead.'

As I gobbled up some tarts, I caught caramel-haired Lady Joan staring at me intently. I swallowed hurriedly to ask,

"What is it?"

She shook her head and smiled. "Nothing, I... I am jealous of you. You can eat as though you are not concerned about getting fat."

"Why should I be concerned? Food is one of the many pleasures of life. It should be enjoyed wholeheartedly."

Lady Joan looked down on her empty plate. "I admire your optimism. You are lucky."

I scoffed and gave her a dismissive wave of my hand. "You need to rid yourself of worries sometimes. Learn to let go. Here, eat."

She lifted her face at last, her freckled cheeks turning pink. She seemed to contemplate and weigh her choices, whether a few bites were worth it or not.

She exhaled, looking like her pet dog had died. "I cannot."

"Why? What is wrong?" I asked.

Someone else answered for her.

"We are not allowed to be as worry-free as you, Lady Clarisse."

I fixed my attention to the girl with rich dark skin near me, Lady Catherine. Before continuing, she sipped on her teacup one last time before placing it on its saucer with a clink.

By now, everyone had stopped chattering, their eyes curiously glued on us three.

"It is required for us to appear presentable at all times. So that we may be... desirable." She toyed with the rim of her cup using a finger. "You see, unlike you, we have yet to receive a marriage proposal out of the blue. And if we are fortunate enough, it might even come from a prince. Us women are useless if not marriageable. And still we are useless after that, sitting around and supervising children."

Every single word hit like a slap to the cheek. I was not so insensible that I would refuse to admit she was right.

This empire was and is male-dominated. Women were deprived of jobs and positions, only to be wrapped by layers of silk as though they were gifts not meant to be opened. And the right to open such a gift was reserved for the groom.

I nodded. "I understand where you are coming from. Please believe me when I say I did not mean to offend you, or anyone else for that matter." I shifted to Lady Joan. "Will you accept my apology?"

Oh, I understood enough all right. As Empress, I had to fight tooth and nail to show the people, the courtiers and the imperial advisers that I deserved the crown regardless of what was in between my legs.