Chapter 44 - The Gala Begins

The last two days were filled with stolen kisses, stolen glances across the palace hallways—everything borrowed and bought just so that the two of us could relish in each other's presence. That first kiss started and ran like a wildfire, destroying whatever constraints left in its wake. The flames blazed and blazed, and I couldn't avoid thinking about the possibility of getting burnt. Though I was not afraid.

Yesterday, as I headed back to my bedroom from Elizabeth's tea party, my soul nearly left my body as someone pulled me into a dark room. The fear quickly subsided, replaced by awe upon seeing Derek's gleaming violet pupils against the dim lighting.

"Your Grace, what do you think you're doing?" I had asked him, talking softly so no one outside would hear.

"What else?" he'd said with a wry tone. "I am taking hold of what's mine."

I raised a brow. "Already you are taking possession of me."

He inclined his head and stepped closer, my back pressing further onto the door. "Am I not allowed to do so?"

I chuckled softly. "By all means, do whatever you want."

There was a devilish glint in his eyes that time. "Then would it be all right if I...do this?"

He leaned into the nook between my neck and shoulder, tugged at the collar of my gown and swept his tongue from my collarbone up to my jaw.

I shuddered, feeling my knees buckle. My hands clung to his shoulders, as though I might give out. The beating of my heart was loud and frantic, like it would burst free from my ribcage.

"Or this?" He sucked the skin at the base of my neck, nibbling gently.

I covered my mouth to prevent a gasp from escaping.

He took my chin and made me face him. Meanwhile, I could still feel the heat of his tongue all over my neck.

After somewhat thirty minutes, the both of us were panting. My skirt had been hiked up to my waist and the buttons of Derek's shirt were undone, his necktie came loose and a glimpse of his broad, bronze chest was exposed to me. His raven-black hair was in the wrong places, as though blown by the wind.

Derek released a ragged breath as he connected his forehead to mine. "I've been thinking."

I flicked my eyes up to meet his. "That is surprising."

He squinted in faked contempt and dove in to bite my cheek gently. I pushed him and smacked his arm in return.

"Jokes hardly suit you, my lady," he snickered.

"You and I suit each other quite well." I giggled feverishly.

Derek snorted. "Stop it, lest you'll truly hurt me."

I wove my arms around him in an embrace, resting my cheek onto his chest. "I wouldn't want that."

His hand went to my back, the other on my head. "In all seriousness, Clary. Once all of this is over, when we succeed in stabilizing Kazriel's position, I figured you can come with me back to the East."

It took a while before the words sunk in. I arranged the words, one by one, examining them to check if I heard him right.

He wanted me to go with him.

Why not? After we'd finished things here, we would go on as planned. Elian and I would break the engagement no matter what Lady Ruth and the other nobles say. We'd be long headed for the Eastern region.

And I would be with Derek. I could imagine it: a future for the two of us, together. I might tell him about my past or not. But that wouldn't matter. As long as I had him.