Chapter 25 - The Spring Festival Starts

Derek ushered me to the backdoors of the palace, past the servant's and knight's quarters. The ones that led to the stables and hunting grounds.

It was midday and the sun was at its highest peak. I squinted, struggling to adjust my vision the moment my shoes crunched the gravel outside.

"Where are you taking me exactly?" I demanded.

"We are going out," Derek said as he took out a gray steed from the stables.

"To where? You must tell me. I will not allow you to spirit me away to some weird place with Anya not knowing where I have gone."

Derek was occupied with the horse's saddlebag, reaching for something inside.

"I have informed your maid in advance through Erix. And relax, I am not taking you to some 'weird place'. I swear you have the most creative of imaginations."

The gray horse flared its nostrils as if to express his agreement, the pebbles crackling as he stomped a hoof.

Derek continued fishing for whatever he was looking for deep in the saddlebag.

"Then where will you be taking me?" I folded my arms, sticking my feet to the ground in the event where he might pick me up and manhandle me.

"Stop talking so loudly, Clary. Lest you want someone to find us here," he grumbled. "I do not want to be accused of snatching the Prince's fiancée."

"Yet that seems to be the case."

"Exactly." Derek shot me a sly grin before returning his attention to the saddlebag.

"Gods have mercy," I grunted. "You cannot be serious."

"I am not. I would rather not lose my lovely head."

Your lovely head which I'd really like to smack with a rock.

"Lucky for you, there is not a rock in sight for you to bash my head with," he crooned.

I blinked several times. "How?"

Derek shrugged nonchalantly. "Your face says it all. You might want to tone down your dagger-like glares, dearest."

"And you might want to stop your smooth-talking."

"I cannot help the way I speak. Especially if it makes the ladies swoon."

"You disgust me, Your Grace."

My blade-sharp remark only earned an amused chuckle from him.

I remained standing on the backdoor's low stone steps, observing Derek while he's digging out some unknown treasure from the saddlebag.

At last, after what seemed to be an eternity, he took out two pieces of rumpled black fabrics from the saddlebag.

"I will be taking you to the capital city. I hear it has become quite festive in that part of Solaria."

Understanding dawned upon me like a wave ramming my body into the earth. I took in the horse, his elegant coat topping his also elegant suit and those knee-high leather boots—he was prepared to venture to the outside.

You clever, conniving fox.

Derek had timed it perfectly. He came to me the day when the Spring Festival would begin. And within three weeks, this celebration would be concluded by the Spring Gala, a ball where everyone—whether commoner or noble—was invited.

"No," I said outright. "I—we cannot go. People will recognize us."

"That is why we'll wear these." Derek slung one black cloth to his shoulder and trudged toward me.