02

02 : when one hates being stared at, stare more.

• • •

"Are you sure you don't need an extra hand?"

"Seren, for the umpteenth time, I am sure."

Ezra just finished all of her classes for the day, so she's currently on her way to the disciplinary office to turn in the worksheets and textbooks that she was forced to compile the day before as a punishment. Although she appreciates Serenity's offer of lending her a hand, she's also aware that the pile of documents she's about to submit can be carried by one person alone.

"Think about it more. Are you really—"

Much to Serenity's dismay, Ezra raised her hand to stop her from speaking, already aware of the question that she's about to spew. "I swear if you don't stop, you will only delay my departure. We don't want to be late for the preparations, do we?"

This day marks the fifth day of December. If you ask the vast majority of people, they will instantly claim that there's nothing super special with the said date. For the two, however, it is the time of the year that they're eagerly waiting for.

Two years ago, when the two just turned eighteen, they made their first major decision as adults: to assemble a book café business independently, with little to no help from their parents. Since majority of the funds they used came from Serenity's fortune, the ginger decided to name the blonde as the owner — much to the said blonde's dismay — and Ezra only claimed the co-founder and employee title for herself.

Needless to say, the business is steadily thriving despite being open only during December to March.

Yesterday, through the phone, they discussed the preparations they need to make in order to re-open their business tomorrow. It was a great distraction for Ezra, considering how it diverted her attention away from yesterday's dreadful events. But now, with the pile of papers held tightly against her chest, she was forced to face the abysmal reality once again.

"I'd get my ass going now. I wanna get this over with as soon as possible to carry on with the preparations."

"Fine," the blonde huffed. Although she badly wanted to accompany her best friend, Serenity knew better than to try to change Ezra's mind when it's already set. Instead, she settled on reminding her now-walking away red-haired friend. "I'd wait outside the gate. If something goes wrong — which I would never doubt because of your dumb luck — just run or something."

"I'm only going to hand these over. What could possibly go wrong?" Ezra tried to sound confident, yet she found her own voice wavering along the way. Of course, there's a high chance of something going wrong. Who does she think she is? She's Ezra Pendragon. The lady loved by the Deity of Misfortunes.

It's not really something she'd brag about, though.

The disciplinary office was still a bit foreign to Ezra. She'd been to the said office before to run an errand, but she was never summoned to be reprimanded. And she wished to keep it that way. Yet because of a certain teacher who's not too keen on her inspection, that wish would be nothing but a fleeting dream, and now, she's presently face-to-face with the door that kept her apart from the infamous prefect of discipline.

She had no doubt that the man waiting behind the opposite side of the door would be far more reasonable than the one who gave her the unjust scolding, but the mere thought of her having to deal with the man because of a misunderstanding triggered unpleasant and bitter feelings inside her.

Thus, with a heavy heart and depleted hope, she reluctantly twisted the office's door.

She was welcomed by a strong gust of wind. The cold air came rushing down on her like a storm surge, sending chills down her spine. Something she did not like, for cold weather has always been her archnemesis.