18

18 : 3am, wide awake, pitter-patter

• • •

"I'm old enough to not need a chaperone," Kid taunted Ezra, mimicking her annoyed voice earlier.

Ezra rolled her eyes. "Be kind, Kid."

The two were currently inside the gingerhead's apartment. After their embarrassing-on-Ezra's-side encounter in the alleyway, Kid concluded that letting the gingerhead go home by herself was the last thing he'd let her do, so he decided to accompany her home. Right now, he was churning milk while Ezra was propping her head down on the kitchen tables.

"You were pissy as fuck," Kid said while passing the mug to Ezra who only muttered a small thank you. "I don't have problems with 'ya wanting to be independent and I know you just don't wanna be a burden, but there's nothing wrong with relying on your friends when things get tough, y'know?"

Ezra immediately defended herself, saying, "I swear, I was doing just fine before you decided to sneak up on me! Besides, why are you scolding me?"

"Excuse you?" the amber-eyed male grumbled as he leaned on the table, looking at Ezra as if he was offended by her. "I wasn't sneaking up on 'ya, I was walking behind like a normal human being. I didn't even see 'ya."

"You should've approached me or said something earlier so I wouldn't be scared!"

"D'you hear yourself? You sound crazy." Kid's eyebrow creased as he looked at the obviously tired Ezra with a watchful eye. Then, he just sighed. "Why'd you even insist on going home by yourself if it scares 'ya?"

Ezra looked away with a pout. Of course, she wouldn't admit the real reason. "It wasn't that scary. The place just reminds me of the incident and the footsteps just made me overthink, that's all."

"Of course, there'd be footsteps and someone else passing by. You don't own the place," Kid scoffed.

The gingerhead rolled her eyes at the male, annoyed by the sarcasm that laced his voice. "Are you deaf? I said, be kind."

"And I'm tellin' 'ya, this over-trusting, over-independence nature of yours would be the cause of your death someday," Kid instantaneously replied, his words sharp and tone serious as he gave Ezra a stern look.

"You're overthinking," the gingerhead shook her head.

Seeing that this conversation was going nowhere, Kid instead sat in front of Ezra and gave her another questioning glare. "So? What pissed 'ya?"

"Huh?" Ezra looked puzzled.

"Don't play dumb," the amber-eyes male replied, which earned him a smack in the head by the gingerhead. "You were so touchy. Everyone noticed."

I thought only Pola caught on to me.

"I was just tired, Kid," Ezra tried to reason out, although Kid just looked at her in askance, making it obvious that he was not at all convinced by her explanation. So, she tried to push her luck more. "I was sleep-deprived."