13

13 : what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

• • •

"Ez, I'm happy that you're socializing with other people, but I feel nothing but threatened right now."

Ezra, who was standing near the Powerpuff trio's table, glanced at Serenity who had just approached them. The blonde was holding a tray of sweets with a pout as she observed her ginger-haired friend who was having a chat with their customers.

"What in the world are you saying, Seren?"

"I will still be your best friend, right?" the said blonde said as she sauntered over to the group. Just as she was distributing the snacks equally to the group of males, Chastille raised his hand like a kid in class.

"That's all mine!" he said with a boyish grin that made Serenity's eyebrow raise.

She asked dubiously, "All. . . yours?"

"Just hand it all to him, Seren," Ezra interjected, knowing full well that the long-haired male lives for the sake of sugar and sweets.

Serenity did as Ezra told her to before she asked the latter to follow her inside the kitchen for a quick talk. The ginger immediately followed suit, and as she entered the kitchen, she was greeted by a grinning Serenity who looked like she was about to bring trouble.

"So, I take it you talked like mature individuals already?" she asked Ezra with a grin, making the blue-eyed ginger throw a questioning look."You're back to the talking stage."

Ezra choked on her own saliva as she heard the term that her blonde friend used, just now realizing what she was up to. "Seren, for Pete's sake, that sounded so off."

"What?" Serenity giggled, a hint of mischief dancing in her jet-black eyes. "You're talking; having a conversation! I call that the talking stage. What else did you think of?"

"Bitch, I know you." Ezra rolled her eyes, making it clear to Serenity that she was more than aware of her best friend's matchmaking tendencies.

This caused Serenity's smile to grow wider as she raised a suggestive eyebrow. "So, what did happen?"

"Seren, we're working." Ezra tried to push away the blonde who was now leaning on her for more gossip. "And we're understaffed again. Where is Pola?"

That question made Serenity stop to think for a while. Then, she shrugged and said, "I dunno, but she asked for permission yesterday. She said she had plans."

"Speaking of plans," Ezra carefully said, wondering how to phrase her next question without making it sound weird or without making Serenity panic. "We won't be meeting the squad until the evening of 25, right?"

"Yeah, why?" the blonde calmly asked. "Are you visiting your parents?"

"No." Ezra hesitated to add more to her statement, but knowing full well that her friend would still end up finding out about it one way or another, she decided that telling her now would be better to avoid having a confrontation later. "I was invited to a party next door on the eve."