17

17 : Live, laugh, love?

• • •

"I just realized this morning when I looked at myself in the mirror—"

"That you're ugly? Yes, we know."

"Excuse you?" Chastille looked aghast as he faced Serenity who had just passed their table on her way back to the kitchen. "Just return where you belong, will you? We adults are talking business here."

Serenity rolled her eyes at him. "Talking business your face. This is my shop; my rule. If I decide to kick you out, that's on me."

"That's one hell of a customer you're kicking out," Chastille said before he turned his back on Serenity and went back to conversing with Kid and Shin. "As I was saying, I looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I actually look a lot like Miss Ez and Kid's secret lovechild."

Kid, who was leisurely sipping on his coffee, choked. "The fuck."

"What?" Chastille laughed, and it was obvious that he enjoyed teasing Kid. Even Serenity, who was about to enter the kitchen, stopped in her tracks. She looked like she was in deep thought before she joined Chastille in laughing.

Then, she yelled, "Ez! Can you come down here for a second?"

After a short while, they heard the familiar sound of Ezra's sneakers hitting the wooden planks of the stairs, and when she appeared in sight, she asked, "What is it?"

Serenity wasted no time as she immediately started dragging the redhead toward the male trio's direction, forcing her to stand in the space between Shin and Chastille. Now, the sweet-loving male was between a scowling Ezra and a deadpanned Kid.

"Oh, wow. It's uncannily true," Serenity said, obviously taken aback. She didn't think that Chastille's joke would actually make sense, but here they are. "I can take a picture, frame it, and claim that it's a family portrait."

Just then realizing what the whole fiasco was all about, Ezra's frown deepened and she distanced herself from the trio and threw the grinning Serenity a look of disapproval. "Can you not?"

"Now, now," Shin intervened. "I know it's funny, but let's not make people feel uncomfortable."

Kid narrowed his eyes. "Did 'ya just say it's funny?"

"And I also said not to make you feel uncomfortable. What's your point?" the brunet confidently answered while raising an eyebrow, earning a small chuckle from Chastille.

"Someone's taking notes in sarcasm." The sweet-toothed male draped an arm over the brunet, which caused the latter to scowl. "You're learning, Shin."

Seeing the scene before her unfold, Ezra let out a sigh. "Can I go back upstairs now?"