12

12 : mature people don't fight over a cup of coffee

• • •

After further investigation, Kid's alibi was confirmed and he was left alone by the police. He stood in front of Ezra's front door as the lady glared at the officers' back and yawned. The golden-eyed male contemplated going near Ezra to apologize for what had happened a few days back, and he decided to do just that.

After seeing him approach her, however, Ezra growled. "What do you want? If you're going to chew me again, I'm in the mood, buddy. Respectfully speaking, get lost."

"Chill, princess," Kid mumbled reflexively, but upon receiving the gingerhead's piercing, dark glare, he remembered that they were currently not in good standing and him joking was nowhere near acceptable. "I just wanna talk. Clear thing—"

"Shut up." Ezra raised her hand to his face to stop him from speaking, and Kid wondered if cutting off people was now the ginger's hobby, since she'd been doing that a lot today. "I told you, I'm not in the mood."

The man was about to complain and insist, but he caught a whiff of the smell of alcohol and realized just why the lady was so irritable and just returning home this late. She's drunk and sleepy, too, he assumed. No wonder she's sassier than usual.

"You're returning home. Alone. Drunk. Weren't 'ya scared?"

"Why's that your business?" Ezra immediately clapped back, drawing a line between herself and her neighbor in the process. "I'm not your friend."

Kid sighed, seeing that she was really mad. "I told 'ya, let's talk—"

"And I said, no." She cut him off, again. But after locking eyes with him, she sighed. "Can't this wait? I'm too tired and it's too early for this shit. Too much interrogation."

Kid's gaze lightened up a bit upon hearing her statement. Knowing that she was open for conversation should be enough for now; the lady looked like she was ready to kill if her sleep was interrupted any further, so he decided to stop pushing.

Like she said, the conversation can wait.

When he returned to his own unit, he found Chastille leaning near the doorframe and looking like a deer caught in headlights. Kid smacked him in his nape, yelling, "Why the hell are 'ya still here?"

"For snacks and gossip, of course," Chastille said before standing back straight, acting like Kid didn't just catch him eavesdropping and rubbing the spot that he hit.

Kid closed the door and plopped himself down on the couch as he started pondering over what had just happened. Klarence, the damned asshole that he is, came knocking on his door before the sun even began to rise. The golden-eyed male was no longer surprised when he learned that the officer was back on his pointing fingers hobby.