09

09 : drunk or possessed, was it really her fault?

• • •

What did she do, now? Was she fucking drunk?

A loud crash echoed in the Winter Serenade's second floor, followed by another slight thud. Did an accident happen? Not quite. Ezra, who had been alone in the said place, banged her head on the table for the umpteenth time today.

Only after twelve hours did she realize the gravity of what had happened the day prior. Not only did she stand outside their apartment's gates with him during winter, but she also went inside their apartment at midnight to tend to his wounds. She went inside a male's apartment, argued with the said male owner, casually and unguarded, like a damned fool!

"Dimwit, dimwit. What idiotic negative creature possessed you to do such outlandish stupidity?" Again, Ezra banged her head on the tabletop as she whispered profanities to herself and chanted about her supposed idiocy.

"Ezra?"

"What am I supposed to do now? I'd die, wouldn't I? He's waiting to murder me outside our apartment building, dead sure!"

"Hey, Ez?"

"But it wasn't my fault I was easily tempted by his friend's offer!" Ezra shrieked, pulling her own red hair in different directions, as if she was a madwoman who had escaped the asylum. "How can I be bribed by that sweet-toothed walking catastrophe!"

"Es, are you still breathing?"

"Really, it wasn't my fault! I mean, I am a certified bookworm and damn, I love books. Bribe a bookworm with a plethora of limited-edition collectibles, and she shall heed any you seek for as long as it does not go against her morals. I laid down the perfect conditionals. I'm weak against my desires! Yes, indeed, for I am only human!" The redhead said more to herself than to other people.

"Ezra!"

"It really—"

Before the redhead could attempt to smack her head again, an arm pulled her back and prevented her from another possible head injury. "Snap out of it, you lunatic!"

"Huh?" Again, it was only then that Ezra realized what she had been doing. Her friends, who had been staying downstairs, are now standing before her, staring at her as if she finally lost all sense of humanity and reason in her brain. "Why are you here?"

"We went because you finally lost it," the woman beside her said in a matter-of-fact tone, the sarcasm nearly escaping Ezra's ears. "I knew you were mad, but I didn't know you were mad, like, mad. Seriously, you ran your mouth so loud and you banged your head so hard that your own customers got scared and ran outside, fearing for their lives. We can even hear your antics downstairs."

"Sorry," Ezra apologized. "It's just that, ah, don't shame me. I realized I'm so stupid."

"Wow, you realized just now?"