16

16 : something somersaulted, might have been her heart

• • •

"Do you like books?" Ezra asked with a bored tone as she stared at the amber-eyed male who was minding his own business a few feet away. The gingerhead noticed that the male had become an actual regular in her workplace, especially after they officially became friends.

Will I be seeing him every day?

Kid, who was sitting near the window, shrugged. "I'm into reading."

"I see," Ezra hummed. "I never pegged you for a bookworm."

"Ans why? Is it because of my appea—"

"Nope."Ezra cut Kid off before he could say something that would probably just cause another banter. "It's just that, you and your crew would usually sit downstairs. I thought you preferred music or a quick exit."

"Half right." The amber-eyed male grinned. "The quick exit ain't wrong, Shin's into music, Chastille's basically born in this world to devour sweets, and I prefer reading."

"Oh? You're perfect here, then," Ezra said with a proud grin.

Kid hummed thoughtfully. How did he not see that? This place basically has everything his small circle of friends needs. Maybe that's why they were drawn to go spend their free time here?

Honestly, they used to fight over their destination before. The three were so polar opposites that they almost had nothing in common. That's why when they discovered this place, it immediately became their default hangout area.

Such a shame it's only open during winter.

"Speaking of, where are Chastille and Shin?" Ezra asked, looking around to see if the two were present somewhere.

Kid dropped his book and looked at Ezra as if he was hurt. "Wow, you're playin' favorites now, Princess Morbucks? Am I not enough for 'ya?"

"Shut up," Ezra retaliated while rolling her eyes and walking towards the male. "If you're running a business, of course you prefer more customers."

"Last time a friend of mine was here, he fought with your pal," Kid said with a shrug, referring to Chastille and Serenity's banter the day before.

Ezra, remembering the same event, shook her head. "I forgot to ask, do you have other friends? I mean, I don't know if that's a normal thing to ask—"

"You're ranting," Kid interrupted Ezra's word vomit. "But no, you've seen everyone I've got."

"Wow, you're even less sociable than I thought," Ezra absentmindedly blurted, before her eyes widened and she covered her mouth in self-realization. "No offense."

"None taken. I had a lot of friends before, believe it or not. T'was when I was less of an ass." Kid shrugged, while Ezra stifled a laugh that caused the former to raise an eyebrow.