Chapter 2b: Follow the Real Leader!!!

"Leafy!!!" I heard several of my classmates cheer as I walked into the cafeteria. Although everyone had a smile on their face, the mood seemed almost...dim. Nowhere near as cheerful as the other morning meetings have been.

"Hey guys," I chuckled sheepishly, waving. "Sorry for making you all worry."

"It's okay Leafy! At least you're here now!" Needle clasped her hands together, giving me a warm smile. Although barely noticeable, the edges of her lips quivered a bit, as though her smile was being forced. I appreciated the gesture and I gave her a smile in return, but it was a lot less warm and lot more forced.

"Oh Leafy! Firey's in the kitchen right now. He told me to take you to the kitchen when you arrived so we can work on the cake together," Pin stood up from her seat and gestured towards the kitchen. "Wanna head over there right now?"

"Sure thing! See you guys later!" I waved to the rest of my classmates and skipped over to where Pin was, following her into the kitchen.

When we entered, I saw a head of bright orange hair move swiftly across the kitchen. Alongside the head of hair was the sound of a raspy voice cheerfully humming, a drastic difference to the mood in the cafeteria. Firey looked up at us and his instantly beamed, "Pin! Hi hi!! And Leafy! Glad you were able to make it!" Firey was holding a skillet pan with an almost-ready omelette in it. Behind him were an array of breakfast foods. Pancakes, bacon, waffles, an assorted array of berries, different types of soups, and just so much that I started to become overwhelmed at all the different choices. "I'm almost done making breakfast for everyone, so we can start baking the cake in a sec!"

"You made all of this by yourself? And so fast?" Pin questioned, donning the same expression of amazement that I had as well.

"Yup! Well, to be fair, MonoSpeaker let me into the kitchen a bit early, so it wasn't superrr fast," Firey spoke as he folded the omelette and set it onto a plate. "I think I should be done! Um, do you guys mind helping me bring all this food to the table? Heh..."

Pin gave Firey a playful eyeroll and went over to the plates of food, carrying as much as she could. I followed after her and carried my share of plates.

————————-

After handing out all of the plates of food, we went back into the kitchen. Firey quickly grabbed some ingredients we needed for the cake: flour, sugar, eggs, yoyleberries, etc. and laid them on the kitchen counter. "Ok, time to start! I'll pre-heat the oven." Firey practically sang, hopping over to the oven and adjusting the temperature.

Firey, Pin and I got started on the cake. Firey and Pin were having a casual conversation about Pin's interest in baking as Firey was making yoyleberry puree and Pin was making the frosting for the cake. I was assigned the task of cutting up the yoyleberries to put into the cake batter. I already had the yoyleberries washed and ready in front of me, now all I needed was the...

I looked at the knives on the knife holder and counted all the knives. 4, 5, 6....7.

The knife that Icy used to kill Eraser was back onto the magnetic knife holder...

I gulped. Well...it most likely wasn't the exact knife that Icy used. Probably just a spare knife that MonoSpeaker had prepared beforehand.

....All Icy had to do to get a murder weapon was to come into the kitchen and simply grab a knife! I looked behind me and saw Firey and Pin still engaged in their conversation. Thankfully, their backs were turned towards
the knives, so they couldn't see me.