Chapter 26 - Emotions and power

Raiden Makoto's POV

 "This shouldn't be possible." Sol muttered confused.

 "Is it a very big problem? The kid can see you too."

 "The kid? Oh, him. Yes, he can but... Never mind. This isn't even the biggest problem."

 He fell silent for a few moments as he took a deep breath and turned back to Kazuha.

 "Kazuha, could you tell me if you remember any of the following things I'm going to mention? You just have to say yes or no." He asked him.

 "Sure." Surprisingly enough, Kazuha was more than willing to cooperate.

 "The vision hunt decree."

 "No."

 "Sakoku decree."

 "No."

 "Tomo."

 "No."

 "Let's try another direction now. What about Kamisato Ayaka?"

 "Yes."

 "Thoma?"

 "Yes."

 "And captain Beidou?"

 "The captain? Long brown hair and an eyepatch?"

 "Yes, that's the one."

 "Then yes, I do remember her." He nodded.

 I think I know what this is about, but then...

 "What about the guy who left just now? Do you remember anything about him, Kazuha?" I couldn't help but ask.

 "Kuni?"

 As Kazuha spoke that name, Sol's face once again filled with shock.

 "How could he-"

 "He was scared. He didn't want to die. His eyes- Ugh, my head." He couldn't finish speaking as he clutched his head.

 Just seconds after, he passed out again.

 "I don't understand." Sol spoke eventually.

 "Don't understand what? I think it's time for some explanation."

 "I have seen this situation before. The spirit of spring winds suffers from something like this too. In the past whenever he got angry or too emotional, his spirit power would explode. After that, he would forget whatever angered him till his emotions calmed down completely. I believe that this is some kind of defensive mechanism to prevent a disaster from happening."

 "So when Kazuha got angry a while ago-"

 "About that. Do tell me how this came to be." He spoke with an angry tone.

 "So about that..."

 I explained what had happened since the moment they had been pulled into the illusion.

 "Istaroth...Tsk!" He clicked his tongue in annoyance when he heard me mention her.

 "Is there a problem with her?"

 Her powers are strong, yes, but other than that...

 "She is someone we spirits would rather not deal with. Well most of us at least. Her origins are somewhat...problematic you see."

 "Problematic?"

 "I really can't talk about that one, I'm sorry. Let us get back to the matter at hand. Kazhua seems to have lost the part of his memories that could trigger an extreme emotional reaction. Memories of people like Kamisato Ayaka, Thoma, or captain Beidou, who met him after the dangers had passed too, seem to have remained, though some memories of them are most probably missing too. The odd one out seems to be the Kunikuzushi."