Chapter 68 - Danger

I actually have like 7 more chapters written out already. I'll probably release the whole story till the end in one go tomorrow.

Kazuha's POV

 Lady Kokomi led us into a cave, where around 20 people were sitting on the ground, fully chained up.

 "Could you stand back for a moment?" Xiao asked as he took a few steps forward.

"It could be dangerous-"

"If what I'm thinking is right, it will be a lot more dangerous if you are there too." Xiao interrupted Kokomi before she could finish.

Xiao stepped closer to the chained people, before he stopped, turning around once again.

"On second thought, it's better if you take this."

He tossed an amber-colored crystal to Lady Kokomi who was standing at the front.

"What is it?"

"It contains one of Morax's shields. It will activate if something bad were to happen."

"The geo archon's shield... I couldn't possibly-"

"Just take it. I have another one."

 Even if he didn't, he could just ask for one.

With that, he turned around and walked toward the people on the floor, this time, not turning back.

 "Hey, Kazuha. You guys should take a few more steps back." Ruru warned.

 I cast her a confused look but still forwarded her instructions.

"We might want to stand a little farther away."

Taking a few more steps backward, we turned back to look at Xiao.

At this time, he had already arrived in front of one of the changed-up people.

That person was struggling, trying to break free from the chains as he let out animal-like growls.

"Let's see if this really is what I think it is..." I could hear him mutter.

He placed his hand on that person's head and some kind of weird power surrounded them both. 

 "That's adeptal power."

 For the first time, Ruru's voice sounded a bit worried.

 Did something happen?

 "Kazuha, do you still have the gnosis with you?" She asked.

 I nodded.

 "That's good then. Make sure to keep it that way."

 But why?

My answer came soon after.

"Was I wro-" Xiao's words got cut off by an explosion of power.

 It was big enough to not only push him back, but also trigger the crystal, causing the rest of us to remain safe, but also locked us out.

 A dark aura started surrounding the person he had touched. His eyes turned black and just moments after, the chains that bound him broke.

 I could see hesitation in Xiao's movements after the explosion as well as intent to kill.

 In the end, he seemed to have decided against killing that person and instead opted for knocking him out.

 Having done that, Xiao turned in our direction before disappearing and then reappearing on our side of the barrier.